cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet throoling speeds down from 74mb to 3 every day

melka61
Dabbler

plusnet throoling speeds down from 74mb to 3 every day

I have guaranted min speed of 40mb when sign contract with plus.net.  Every evening  I am throotled down.

I can tell you why,  Ive read other Forum, ISP ale throotling down speeds when live premier league is on. But we have something called min guaranted speed and it is 40mbp.   Its not just me, there are others out there. Netflix from HD dropping down to SD or unwatcheble as soon as premier league matches are finished all speeds are going back to normal. Amazon prime is impossible to watch while netflix can at lowest resolution.

THIS IS NOT FAIR WITH CUSTOMERS WITH GUARANTED MIN SPEED !!!  I WILL POST THIS OVER AND OVER TO OTHERS.   TO MAKE SURE ALL KNOW ABOUT BT/PLUSNET POLICY OF THROOLING DOWN SPEEDS.  

Below are proof:

Phone exchange:

INVERNESS MACDHUI
Estimated line speed:
65Mb (This may vary between 47Mb and 65Mb) - Checked on 2018-02-12 14:09:10
Current line speed:
77.2 Mb

Data from router:

( 1212.170000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=79861Kbps, Up Rate=18690Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=5.9dB

8 REPLIES 8
melka61
Dabbler

Re: plusnet throoling speeds down from 74mb to 3 every day

WE ALL SHOULD MAKE MASSIVE COMPLAIN  TO STOP THIS.

20:16:30, 07 Mar. (28778.720000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=79848Kbps, Up Rate=18262Kbps; SNR Margin Down=5.7dB, Up=6.1dB

Every single day, every day when I try to watch netflix it throotle it down to 2mb! and stay like that. Line stats are perfect.  It seems to be common for BT/ PLusnet.

All those with new contracts with min speed guaranted we could go to ofcom and make massive complain. I pay for to speed broadband but i must use mobile hotspot to browse internet fast or watch something on netflix/amazon.

Its not exchange, I speak to others, and  all same probles, diffrent city.

IT DOES HAPPEN TO ALL AT SAME TIME AND AT THE SAME TIME GOES BACK TO NORMAL WHEN PREMIER LEAGUE STOP PLAY. 

I AM NOT WATCHING FOOTBALL AT ALL AND I AM AFFECTED ??!?!?!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

There are congestion problems on some BT exchanges which they are in the process of upgrading.  The SU's have been progressing this issue in conjunction with Plusnet staff

@problems please.@Gandalf  can you check for exchange or Hot SVLAN issues please

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

melka61
Dabbler

its not, why ?? 

According to other forums and other users who mentioned this, only youtube correctly working.

I can watch full 1080p and 4k from youtube without a single issue at all. 

But all other traffic is capped down, Throotled down by you.

melka61
Dabbler

The youtube at 4k use about 20mb + and it plays perfectly.  With fast forwarding it hitting 74mb !! according to my net monitor. Still play PERFECT.

ENTIRE OTHER TRAFFIC IS SLOWED DOWN TO  2-3mb, when not in  use for a while goes up to 10mb for short time.

THIS IS  ILLEGAL THROOTLING DOWN THOSE WHO ARE ON    GUARANTED MIN SPEED

AND AFTER LIVE FOOTY GOES OFF ALL GOES BACK TO NORMAL.   I AM NOT AN IDIOT IVE GOT PROOF AND DOOZEN OF PEOPLE WHO ARE AWARE OF THESE KIND OF ISSUE.  SAME PROBLEM, DIFFRENT LOCATION.

AT THE SAME TIME, YEAH  ENTIRE UK FROM SOUTH TO NORTH IS   "UGRADED"  AND UPGRADE IS FINISHED FOR ALL AT THE SAME TIME AS WELL AS IT START.

YOU MUST HAVE  A REALLY HIGH NUMBER OF ENGINERS TO WORK.

PEOPLE GOOGLE IT OUT   "THROOTLING BY ISP"   ITS HAPPENING.

dannyboy75
Rising Star

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT!

However, I do sympathise. Being throoled every evening sounds rather unpleasant.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @melka61, I am sorry you are experiencing speed issues.

Looking into this we can see you over are being impacted by an over utilized VLAN and an upgrade is targeted to complete by the 30/03/18.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
melka61
Dabbler

I heard that before. Its not that. Beacuse high bandwith app like youtube can access full speed of line and all other traffic is capped down. Currently at 7mbp. Will go even lower than that.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

There's congestion on our suppliers network at the exchange which is likely the cause of that.

The extra equipment should alleviate the problem (Hopefully by the 30th).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet