Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet line speed

scottymc
Grafter

plusnet line speed

Quick question
Should the  PlusNet line speed be the exact same as your sync speed or is the figure a there about stat ?
Because mine is about 2/3 meg out .....
18 REPLIES 18
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: plusnet line speed

Hello there. The Plusnet line speed (or, connection profile) should match the sync speed, however if the sync fluctuates it can take some time for our profile to adjust. I've tested your line and your sync is 68.5 Mb. I've changed the profile to 68600 to match the sync as close as possible. If you reboot your router, you'll receive the full sync speed.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

My line speed on PlusNet's system has never matched my Sync, current Sync has been at 80/20 for 49 days and line speed on PlusNet's end is 77.2.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Plusnet Current Line Speed should match the BT IP Profile (rounded down to the nearest 0.2 Mb). The IP Profile is something like 96.79% of the VDSL2 line rate ("sync speed" is a horrible term).
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello nightstalk3r. Your router is syncing at 79.9 Mb. I've changed our connection profile to 78000, matching it as close as possible. Currently the profile has a limit of 78 Mb as the maximum fibre speed we offer is up to 76 Mb. If you reboot your router, you should be able to squeeze a bit more juice out of the connection.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest you actually check this as what you say is completely wrong
The up to 76Mb/s is an OFCOM marketing restriction
The maximum speed is actually 80Mb/s or sometimes 79.9Mb/s
The Plusnet " Current Line Speed" is not the sync speed it is the IP profile rounded down as stated by ejs above
You should not suggest rebooting the router
The correct procedure is to click on disconnect to drop the PPP session and then connect which will bring the Plusnet updated profile into play
scottymc
Grafter

Thanks for your help Anoush
As oldjim said that is how  i dropped the connection , everything matches now ..
dnpark38
Rising Star

Quote from: scottymc
Quick question
Should the  PlusNet line speed be the exact same as your sync speed or is the figure a there about stat ?
Because mine is about 2/3 meg out .....

If you do a download speed test on a site such as  http://www.speedtest.net/ ; you will find it is a couple of Mb down on the PlusNet Sync. speed.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Well, that's just Plusnet for you, even when all the profiles are "correct".
scottymc
Grafter

Just out of interest
If the DLM is automated and adjusts your line as it see's fit for the best connection..
Why does PlusNet have to adjust the line as well... If your on a 80/20 package then PlusNet's profile should be 80/20 and leave it to the DLM to set the best speed for your line....?
Or is there a reason for PlusNet to impose a line profile as well....?
Sorry if some of the terminology is wrong, hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say..
Anonymous
Not applicable

The exchange DLM adjusts the modem sync speed and power levels to provide the optimum line throughput for your connection.
The BT line profile is then calculated (your sync speed minus any protocol overheads).  That figure is the maximum rate at which data can be accepted by the telephone exchange before data packets start getting dropped - as the exchange has no receive buffering.
Each time DLM changes the sync speed, then the BT line profile is recalculated accordingly.  This updated line profile is automatically passed back to Plusnet for processing.
In providing a BT supplied internet connection (i.e. non-LLU), ISPs are expected to NOT send data to the telephone exchange at a rate faster than can be passed through the customers phone line.  Therefore Plusnet are required to rate limit what is sent to be equal or less than the latest BT line profile.  This Plusnet rate limit used to be shown on the customer Portal as the "Current Line Speed".
As a refinement to this process, Plusnet also perform "Traffic prioritisation", to provide a better customer experience if/when then download path becomes saturated, by applying QoS (Qualtiy of Service) techniques. 
In order to achieve this "traffic prioritisation" the Plusnet Current Line Speed is calculated as -
        BT Line Profile  rounded down to nearest 100Kbps, and then subtract another 100Kbps.
I hope that helps your understanding !  Wink

I have to say that I'm dismayed at the lack of knowledge and misinformation provided in the replies by Anoush.  Angry
scottymc
Grafter

Perfect and thanks for the explanation
scottymc
Grafter

Ok with all that said and bearing in mind my line speed was manually set to 68.500 yesterday why has this happened ........
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Note that you Line Speed was not set at 69.5Mb/s - what was set was the Plusnet Profile which they insist on calling Current Line Speed but isn't
The reason is that at some time since your last data your line resynced at a slightly slower speed 68.773 Mb/s which automatically changed the IP Profile and hence the Plusnet Profile
scottymc
Grafter

So the 2 meg difference between PlusNet's current line speed and the sync speed showing on my router is normal
Or am I not seeing the same connection speed PlusNet are seeing because 2meg is a lot  more than the % that were stated in previous posts
My line is stating the same figures as yesterday after I dropped the connection which i did after Anoush changed the plusnet current line speed to 68.500..
My router is saying I'm connected at a higher speed than that but my plusnet current line speed is saying 66.4 ?