cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised"

harryfox

plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised"

My internet has been completely down for a couple of days and I can't contact support.

When I dial then number: 0800 432 0200, I am met with a voice message that says:
"the number you have called is not recognised, please check the number. If you need help call the operator from 100 on your mobile". 

I'm with Giffgaff, I have a recurring bundle of unlimited minutes and I have credit for calling numbers that cost money to call. 

As I mentioned, my internet has been dead for a couple of days and I work from home so I'm having to use phone data to work, which is pretty frustrating.

please please please help!

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised&quo

@harryfox Welcome to the forums. Just in case there is a problem, I have tried ring the 08004320200 number and it works with no problem - although they are currently closed.

The call is free anyway, being an 0800 number. This suggests that giffgaff, or whoever they piggy-back off are the issue.

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised&quo

Hi Harry, I’ve just called our support number and while the call centre’s closed, I got through to the switchboard without hearing the message you’ve got. 

I suspect that there may be an issue with calling 0800 numbers from your mobile it might be worth contacting Giffgaff about. 

In the meantime can you raise a fault ticket online at faults.plus.net through your account online?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I’ve just tried from my Giffgaff account mobile and got straight through to the we are closed recorded message.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised"

Hi Harry, I've taken a closer look at this now I'm in the office and I can see your router's trying to connect to the internet with the wrong password which can come about if you ever change your account password.

To fix I'd recommend pushing a paperclip into the reset pin hole at the back of your router for 20 seconds or until the light along the front goes green. Wait 10 minutes and if you still have issues, please try the following steps to manually connect.
1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254

2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab

3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button

4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Broadband tab

5. If there's a Disconnect button, click that

6. Change the username to the broadband username in the format of username@plusdsl.net If you can't remember this I'd check for any emails we've sent you for example an email with you bill on as we'd add the username to the top of the email.

7. Type in the account password, this can be reset here: https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/ if needed.

8. Hit the Connect button.

Also line tests are showing what's known as a loop condition which is a bit like a short circuit and this may still stop you from getting online even after completing the above steps so I'd recommend plugging your router into the test socket explained Here to rule out internal wiring and head on to faults.plus.net to raise a fault ticket.

Let us know how you get on Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harryfox

Thank you so much for your detailed response! 🙏

I have followed all of the steps in the order you suggested, Gandalf, and finally it seems I have a stable blue light and a working connection. 

My wi-fi hub is connected via the internal master test socket and it's working well. 🎉

Is this a positive sign? Is it safe to put the cover back on and connect normally?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Harry

Awesome, I'm glad to see you're back up and running now. 

Line tests are still showing that fault though with your speed running at a grand total of 0.8mbps.

Could you possibly unplug everything from the test socket leaving the faceplate off?

Let me know afterwards and I'll re-run the test.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harryfox

Re: plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised&amp

okay! everything is currently unplugged, faceplate off. Back on the hotspot!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: plusnet helpline cannot be called because "the number you have called is not recognised&amp

Thanks Harry. Just caught me as I was about to log off for the night. Smiley

Line tests are still showing the same issue so we can be confident the problem's nothing you'd be responsible about.

Feel free to plug everything back in how it was and put the faceplate back on. 

I've raised a fault with our suppliers now and we'll provide an update as soon as we know more via the ticket Here on your account, we may need to arrange an engineer visit but we'll let you know if we do.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harryfox

I see the ticket you've raised and the heads-up about speed tests - Thank you so much for all you help with this, you're a superstar! 

I'll keep my eyes on my inbox tomorrow for updates and close this post now.

Thank you again! 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No problem at all Harry, happy to help in any way I can Smiley

Cheers

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button