cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet fibre vs the Other

CaptainNookie

plusnet fibre vs the Other

Hello, I am planning to switch to Plusnet broadband fro Sky in Three weeks time but would like to know the upload and download speed for the unlimited package please. Currently I'm getting 38 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream unlimited. Is Plusnet any better?  Another reason for switching is to use my own Router. . Please advise .thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: plusnet fibre vs the Other

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (not Fibre Extra) is 40/2 and you can use your own router providing it is suitable as you won't get a modem

CaptainNookie

Thank you. Will probably get the Unlimited extra as 2Mbps upstream will be unsuitable for remote access of ip cameras and Network servers. Isn't nit a bit tight of Plusnet to offer only 2mbps upload on a 40 downstream? 

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Be warned - if the estimate here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput is less than 40Mb/s (probably the bottom of the higher range) the Plusnet system won't let you order Fibre Extra

Stupid isn't it

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Very Stupid, it's turning custom away, IMHO, OldJim. I understand that PlusNet are converting  all those who are on 40/20 contracts to 50/10? That is because to supply 40/20, they buy 80/20 from BT and restrict the 80 to 40 themselves, with software. Plusnet buy the 50/10 package for less than 80/20. To me it makes no sense not offering 50/10 as the basic package, as the wholesale cost of 40/2 isn't that much different (if memory serves).

Whoever is in charge of PlusNet marketing could do worse than make the comparison, especially with BT majoring on 50/10 and promoting offers.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@danludlow wrote:

Very Stupid, it's turning custom away, IMHO, OldJim.

You may be right but I'm sure they've done their research. Presumably they've concluded that there just isn't a market for 10Mb/s upload except amongst those who go for the 80/20 service anyway.

As for not selling 80/20 to those who can't get higher than 40Mb/s that does at least avoid people signing up then demanding a discount because they can only get 35Mb/s down.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been on a 40/20 service for many months, getting 13 or 14 Mbps UP, upgraded to 80/20 and kept the same speed Up, but now its dropped to 10Mbps Whilst Down is around 47Mbps (not bad for distance to cabinet).

I find it odd that Up has slowed to 10mbps which is same as 50/10. If Plusnet bought 50/10 for me instead of 80/20, saved a few bob, how would I ever know?

If 10mbps Up is the best your service will give, it's got to better than 2Mbps, and these days transferring pictures, video, or online backups 2mbps isn't really enough is it.