cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet broadband any good

oakree

plusnet broadband any good

Hi,

I've been a plusnet customer for many years but just for hosing my domain and email.

I currently use Vodafone for fibre-optic broadband and it is pretty rubbish.  And I was lied to!  That is the one thing that i cannot abide.  I was told that they only use BT for the local loop and after that they have their own network.  This is not true and they are just like everyone else who uses BT Openreach - like plusnet do.

I have some issues with plusnet customer service - it seems chasing new customers is far more important than stopping exisiting ones from leaving - but I' keen to discover people's experience with plusnet fibre - as in is it reliable and quick?

Thanks,

oaktree 

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: plusnet broadband any good

@oakree wrote:

I currently use Vodafone for fibre-optic broadband and it is pretty rubbish.  And I was lied to!  That is the one thing that i cannot abide.  I was told that they only use BT for the local loop and after that they have their own network.  This is not true and they are just like everyone else who uses BT Openreach - like plusnet do.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/business/2015/06/vodafone-uk-unveils-connect-reasonably-priced-adsl-and-fib...

Network-wise, Vodafone Connect will be using a mix of its own LLU service and BT Openreach's FTTC cabinets. Vodafone has an extensive nationwide fibre backbone in the UK (for its cellular base stations)—and it is now in the process of adding its own ADSL and VDSL equipment at telephone exchanges, which can then be connected to the backbone. Last-mile access will still be provided by Openreach's cabinets and twisted pairs.

This appears to be the latest situation re their LLU rollout https://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu/bulldog

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Vodafone are a LLU provider, this may help your understanding.

That said, I have had no issues with my PN supplied fibre, moved from BT last year. However I live very close to the exchange and cabinet, so get full speeds. So much depends on how far away you are for good speeds.

This forum seems an excellent way to get help, but many of the complaints are due to being too far from a cabinet or exchange, understanding how broadband and WiFi helps a lot to get a good service.

oakree

I left BT non-fibre optic due to billing issues.  I changed to Vodafone and went fibre optic.  I would say that the connection is slower now than it was before.  That's why I'm considering giving Vodafone up,  If I am on Vodafone from the local exchange, then I would say that it is very slow.  As the local loop is always going to be a limit for any provider, it's just that I can see no point in using Vodafone!

jcwtf
Hooked

plusnet are having big issues at the moment giving correct download speeds.

plusnet fault telephone lines don't seem to be staffed by technical people - they just say "that must be all that your line can handle" even though the line can handle much more.

many, including myself (after many years at plusnet) have left recently or are looking at leaving asap.

Sorry to say I cannot recommend them even though in the past I have done so to friends 😞

hazzardboy7
Grafter

Hi, I've been with plusnet for about 3 years now, overall they were ok, but in the last few months I've seen a big fall in the service they provide, support tickets going unanswered for weeks, changing customers speed without the customer asking for this, if you don't like it you can leave without penalty, high packaet lost, and blaming customers lines router or what ever they can think of when a good few customers are having the same issue.

I have recommended 3 or 4 of my family and friends to plusnet, sadly i renewed my contract with plusnet  just before i noticed the big decline, i wont be renewing my contact in 16 months time, and i will make sure my family wont either, plusnet we will do you proud don't make me laugh.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@oakree wrote:

I was told that they only use BT for the local loop and after that they have their own network.  This is not true and they are just like everyone else who uses BT Openreach - like plusnet do.

I use Vodafone for mobile so I can think of many reasons to hate them and I'd leave if I could. Sadly they provide me with the one thing not available any other way 😕

As for PN - when it works (which for me is almost always) it's a very good network. Low latency and no peak-time throughput drops. But the impression I get is that if you need help you might struggle a bit, especially if you don't come here first. Still - it can never be as bad as the useless muppets at Vodafone and I think most people get sorted out fairly quickly.