Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plus fibre and gigabit switch question

poggs
Dabbler

plus fibre and gigabit switch question

Hello,
Been with plus for some time on ADSL max.  THen 6 months ago got adsl2 and next wednesday getting fibre on launch-ish day in my village.
Anyway.  Ive been using a Belkin AC1000 router - F9J1104V1 for adsl owning mostly to its 4 gigabit ports.
NOw I've discovered that this router is incompatible with fibre as it does not have a wan port, so getting the plus one for wireless.
However I would like to use the new 8 port gigabit switch I've just got. How do set that up? 
Does it go bt modem thingy > Switch > plus router, or is there some other config I need to do?
Ta
6 REPLIES 6
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: plus fibre and gigabit switch question

Modem > Router > Switch
You'd have the Openreach modem to the router. This would leave three spare ports on the router in one of these you'd plug in your switch.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
poggs
Dabbler

Thanks,
but how would I get gigabit speeds?  I'd like to fire files around my home network between my computers.
dick:quote
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

All you pc's connect to the switch, then only the traffic destined for the net goes through the 100Mb port (to the fibre)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Autosensing.  Wink
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, if you can disable the DHCP server on the Belkin router, in theory you could use the Belkin as your new gigabit switch.  It can also continue to function as a AC wireless access point too.   You would probably also want to turn off the N wifi on the PN Hub Zero.  
If you previously used the USB sockets on the Belkin for its Twonky(?) DLNA media server, it should work fine provided you change the IP address of the Belkin.  (eg. if the default IP for the PN Hub Zero is 192.168.1.254, then change the Belkin's IP address from default 192.168.2.1 to say 192.168.1.250, before wiring the Belkin to the Plusnet router)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
poggs
Dabbler

Thanks to all. - esp hairybiker.
Seems so obvious now you've said it.  I just thought that because one port was 100, that they would all sync down to lowest common denominator.
Appears not  Smiley