cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pfsense modem slower than netgear

spudy12
Grafter

pfsense modem slower than netgear

Ive been using a pfsense based router / firewall for a while. Previously I had this set up to receive internet from the plus net supplied modem.
I have now removed the plusnet supplied modem and have connected the pfsense box directly to the white oprenreach box. Set up details in pfsense for PPPoE and its working fine.
However, it seems that page loading speed is slower than when using the plus net supplied modem, if only by a fraction. It also seems that every now and then the ping will sky rocket.
I've set the MTU in the PPPoE settings to 1492, is this correct?
I've only been running a simple "ping google.co.uk -t " from the command line to monitor ping but its seems to fluctuate a lot, around 15ms to 20 ms. Is this normal behavior?
Anything I should do  / tweak? I know you don't officially support other modems but there is no reason this shouldn't work
Box has enough power to deal with the connection with CPU only ever reaching about 30% under full connection load.
cheers
EDIT: Also, what MSS / MTU setting should I use for a Fibre to the Cabinet connection?
5 REPLIES 5
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: pfsense modem slower than netgear

Quote from: spudy12
It also seems that every now and then the ping will sky rocket.

Could that be a wireless thing?
Most wireless connections will have a couple of high pings at 1 minute intervals.
Quote from: spudy12

EDIT: Also, what MSS / MTU setting should I use for a Fibre to the Cabinet connection?

MTU or MRU: 1492
MSS: 1452
spudy12
Grafter

Thanks for your reply,
Not using wireless, using hardwire connection to switch connected to pfsense.
Thanks for clarifying the MTU / MSS settings
spudy12
Grafter

I don't know if I read this correctly but I think I read somewhere that a pfsense box can also replace the white openreach modem on the wall.
Is this the case or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?  Huh
stephenw10
Rising Star

Late posting here (by months!) but for the benefit of anyone else reading this;
No, a pfSense box cannot replace the Openreach modem. There is no support for DSL modem hardware directly in pfSense/FreeBSD.
Steve
dragon2611
Grafter

What are you using hardware wise to run PfSense
Also did you set MSS clamping, if not you may have trouble with webpages not loading