cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

partial page loading

matth1j
Dabbler

partial page loading

Hi - switched from Sky ADSL to Plusnet fibre just over a month ago, and pretty happy overall.
However, I quite often see a problem where a page initially seems unwilling to load; see attachment for an example. It's the BBC news front page, and although the text seems ok, the pictures are missing. The page has finished loading.
If I do a refresh, everything (including the pictures) is displayed ok.
This happens on lots of sites, and only since we switched to Plusnet. Speed tests indicate 30+Mbps down and 5+Mbps up.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
John
EDIT: Windows 8
15 REPLIES 15
sjptd
Grafter

Re: partial page loading

Might be worth trying a different browser to see if you have the same issues.  It may be that the first browser you try will always have the issue, whichever browser it is.
Also, try setting your DNS to a different setting.
If you know what you are doing you could debug it using the Developer Tools in the browser; but I guess if you know how to do that you would already have tried.  I can't think of any quick way of describing what to do.
A quick look shows me that  while the bbc news is at news.bbc.co.uk, the images are mainly at news.bbcimg.co.uk, which uses akamai.  While it usually works really well it is fairly common for people (on any ISP) to have issues with akamai;  someone else may be able to give more details.
matth1j
Dabbler

Thanks. Just trying to change my DNS settings - I've got into the router using telnet (in my Ubuntu VM), but the 'dns server route' command only has 'add' and 'flush' options, not the 'list' mentioned in all the instructions I've googled. Help Smiley
sjptd
Grafter

You could try changing DNS on Ubuntu itself.  See http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/changing-dns-settings-on-linux (I'm not suggesting their servers, that's just a page that shows what to do)
matth1j
Dabbler

matth1j
Dabbler

Changed the DNS (Windows settings - presumably that's effectively the same as doing it in the router) to OpenDNS; we'll see how it goes.
Cheers
John
matth1j
Dabbler

Mmm... since changing the DNS settings (in Windows), my 2 phones can't connect. That is, they're showing strong wifi signals, but web content won't load/update. I've tried turning them off/on.
?
matth1j
Dabbler

Going to try contacting Plusnet support...
matth1j
Dabbler

While waiting, I suddenly thought - reboot the router (obviously!). I did; didn't help but after power cycling the phones, they seem happy again.
One thing the nice Plusnet lady said which bothers me a bit is that when I changed the Windows DNS, it doesn't change the router's DNS. So although something must have changed in the router to affect my phones, they are presumably still using whatever DNS the router is set to.
So anyone know how to change the router's DNS which doesn't involve the telnet command 'dns server route list'?
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Not sure if you're using a PlusNet router but if you are there's a script you can download that will Telnet into the router for you and change the DNS settings to OpenDNS http://npr.me.uk/dns-script.zip
matth1j
Dabbler

I am using the Plusnet router, and that script works a treat, many thanks.
(FWIW it shows that the telnet command to list the DNS addresses is 'dns server forward dnsset list')
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Glad the telnet script worked for you Wink
But has changing the dns fixed your original problem?
matth1j
Dabbler

Too early to say; it wasn't that frequent. But I haven't seen it happen yet, which is a good sign.
BTW I've put the Windows DNS setting back to 'Obtain DNS server automatically', as it was before. That is, I'm assuming that if the router is set to OpenDNS, there's no point manually setting Windows DNS as well?
sjptd
Grafter

I'm assuming that if the router is set to OpenDNS, there's no point manually setting Windows DNS as well? Should be fine with a mild caveta.
Routers can be set up to provide DNS to clients in two different ways: (1) the router acts as an intermediate DNS server and gives its own address to the client, (2) the router gives the required 'real' dns server addresses direct to the client.
With (1) using DHCP on the client computer to set up dns server should be fine, but could be an issue if the dns server on the router is slow.
With (2) the client computer will end up exactly the same as with explicit settings on the computer.
matth1j
Dabbler

Thanks - I'll just need to do a bit of homework to understand those caveats Smiley