cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not get.n the speeds quoted buy plusnet

buddajamie
Hooked

not get.n the speeds quoted buy plusnet

hi folks this is prob a reoccurring topic on this matter i have unlimited fibre,an quoted at 40mps ,when doing speed check being told it is reaching 39.9 mps

yet when i use my computer with a cable or WiFi the highest speeds i have achieved are 4.9mps this the same speed for wifi and cable the router is less than 10 feet from my laptop i have connected direct from BT socket and still the same highest 4.9mps

i raised a ticket and gave a contact time i was available but was phoned at work and asked the tech to phone me back that day at 6pm if possible that was a week ago and still no return call 

i dont expect 40mps but i would like to at lease achieve 20mps  not happy paying for a service and it is not following through with its policys 

buddajamie 

13 REPLIES 13
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: not get.n the speeds quoted buy plusnet

Can we get some clarification so that sensible responses can be made?

By "mps" do you mean "Mbps" or "MBps" - a difference of about 10x (allowing for overheads). A sync rate of 40Mbps should give a throughput of between 4 and 5 MBps.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
buddajamie
Hooked

4 MBs

@PeeGee wrote:

Can we get some clarification so that sensible responses can be made?

By "mps" do you mean "Mbps" or "MBps" - a difference of about 10x (allowing for overheads). A sync rate of 40Mbps should give a throughput of between 4 and 5 MBps.

Phil

buddajamie
Hooked

4MBs down load speed on both wifi and cable

eddielenton
Dabbler

4 megabytes per second (4MB/s) is about right for someone on 40 megabits per second (40Mbps).

If you do a test at http://www.speedtest.net/ then you should see a speed result in megabits per second.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @buddajamie 

Welcome to the forums! 

Sorry to hear you are getting poor throughput speeds. I've just ran a GEA test and I can see your router is syncing at 40.0 Mbps. The minimum estimate for your line is 32 Mbps, this estimate is created based on the known length of the line, joints and materials used to create the line. The line is performing well and within the expected limits with a sync rate of 40 Mbps.

This information was also sent to you off the back of the ticket you raised to us - click here to view this ticket and the reply from our faults team.

Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and our Wireless troubleshooter here and then please run a wired speed test on BT Speed Test and complete the test right to the end.

Let us know how you get on. 

buddajamie
Hooked

Hi perhaps it just me but when i took out this product i never noticed or was informed that the estimated actual down load speeds( 38 to 40 MBS  will be a tenth of the speed (4.MBS) 

we are told that their will be some drop of line speed approx a third 

if what you are saying that 4 MBs is an acceptable speed for a fibre broadband quoting 40MBs i find that way below my expectations 

Buddajamie

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If you are on the 40Mbs package then 38Mbs or approximately 3.8 MBS is the absolute maximum you will get.

3.8MBS = 38Mbs.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You really need to make sure you are using the correct units, 40MBps is equal to 320Mbps.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

40Mbps is the max speed of the product not 40MBs.  Those 2 speeds are very different. 40 Mbps = 5MB/s.  4MB/s is 32Mbs, so by the time various overheads, wifi and any slowdowns with the speedtester and such like 32Mbs isn't too far off the throughput you should expect from a 40Mbps sync.

Edit: Slow typing tonight, everyone is getting in before me!  This isn't too bad for reading up on converting units.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

buddajamie
Hooked

I have just read your reply and i,am wondering if my math is different from yours

when i get a figure of 3.8 to me it means its 0 .2 short of 4 not 40

perhaps when you advertise your products then the 3.8MB/s speed rather than the 38MB/s speed is mentioned helping people who are not to aware of the difference (like me) as i would have taken my custom went else where 

Buddajamie

dannyboy75
Rising Star

As others have said, you're confusing megabits and megabytes. ISP's always advertise speeds in megabits per second, this is a standard thing in the industry. There's no deception or subterfuge going on here.

However, web browsers tend to show download speeds in megabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, so if connected to Plusnet at 40 megabits per second, you would expect to see maximum download speeds of up to 5 megabytes per second. (40/8 = 5). Bear in mind this is a theoretical maximum - in practice the speeds you'll see will probably be just short of this, if everything's working well (which it looks to be).

Most speed test websites give you the option to show results in MBps (megabytes/sec) or Mbps (megabits/sec), depending on your preference.

buddajamie
Hooked

thanks 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries. Let us know if you need any further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet