cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new house same internet package but getting half the download speed.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: new house same internet package but getting half the download speed.

Hi @Stylin

We offer two products Unlimited Fibre which offers a 40Mbps max speed, and Unlimited Fibre Extra which offers up to 80Mbps max speed. 

A confirmation of the product you selected can be seen here which should help confirm what speeds you should be getting over the wired connection. 

The issue you're experiencing looks to be solely affecting the wireless devices. Is it possible to get the information that @Jubby has asked for to offer some better advice?

Stylin
Grafter

Ok it says i have the unlimited fiber so my 35mpbs speed is about right. guess the other staff member got it wrong.

my routers are on top of a wooden gas box that has the gas meter inside of it, its next to a window. its always been there and ive managed to have the 35mpbs speeds over wifi, only since last week i am experiencing the speed drops.. could it be faulty wireless dongle thats becoming less effective over time?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IEU7UZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that wifi dongle..

or would buying a better router than the standard router provided by plusnet help?? 

much prefer to keep on wifi.. because cabling across the house then up the stairs then across the landing  gonna be a nightmare xD

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Stylin

Actually the maximum speeds your line can handle is around 70Mbps but the product you have doesn't offer that I'm afraid. 

The issue you're experiencing could be a number of things, indeed it could be the dongle - it might be worth seeing if there's a firmware update for it on the manufacturers website, or as you've noted it might have just become less effective over time and in turn started causing some of the wireless issues. The same can be said for the router too - though it should be perfectly fine. 

That said I would strongly suggest that you move the router from the location it's in, regardless of it always being there and working. Having a router in a location like that will do no good for your connection especially the wireless side of it. There's a possibility any connective element within the meter (if it clicks on and off) could potentially have become faulty and in turn causing excess REIN on your services (although this would normally cause wired issues too).

Stylin
Grafter

OK i'm having the speed drops again, right down to 2mpbs over wireless and i plugged up the Ethernet cable and im still getting 2mpbs..

cant be coincidence that its happening around this time of the afternoon all the time, surely?

it cant be anything wrong with the router location because majority of the time im getting 35mpbs but it seems around this time in the afternoon for some unknown reason to me my speed is dramatically reduced.

i i first noticed the speed drops while posting in this thread, if you look at the times i mentioned it in my posts they are all around the same time.. what could be causing this?

Stylin
Grafter

OK now my speeds are back to normal.. getting 35mbps.. over wifi and cable.

you guys have a speed cap on my connection from around 3pm until 4pm ish?

every time my speed drops its at these times.. nothing wrong with my hardware.. because majority of the times im getting the speed i should be getting..

Stylin
Grafter

internet speed is capped in the afternoon around 3 to 4pm down to 2mbps

this last week i have noticed that my internet speed is being capped at 2mbps at around 3 to 4pm in the afternoon. on WIFI and CABLE.

it cant be my hardware because after those hours, i'm getting the speed i should be getting which is around 35mbps.

can you guys check if there is some sort of speed cap on my line for those hours?  its been happening this last week( that ive noticed) everytime in the afternoon at the times mentioned my speed reduces down to 2 or 3mbps..

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: internet speed is capped in the afternoon around 3 to 4pm down to 2mbps

Moderators Note

Two topics merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

OK firstly to clear something up you're on the 40mbps package as agreed Here, it looks like Emily on the 28th may have mistakenly been looking at idonno's account who posted straight after Adam. I've arranged for feedback to be passed on regarding this. That said it doesn't help your speed issue, because we're seeing your line in sync at 40mbps.

I've tested your line and we're not seeing any speed restrictions on your line or congestion at the exchange. Do you get the same issues using a different device assuming you haven't tried more than one device already?

It may also be worth to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

If you're interested I've attached a copy of our testing below:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Not Run - Unable to run
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 321.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-06-01T21:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 40.0 Mbps 40.0 Mbps 40.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 483.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 4.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-06-14T19:41:28Z 2019-06-14T19:56:28Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

As a heads up to match the speed profile on your account I've also placed an order to modify your speed profile with our suppliers to up to 55mbps which should complete Monday/Tuesday. This is because it looks like you may have been on our 40/20 product long ago which we moved to 55/10 as a compromise instead of downgrading you to 40/2 back in the day.

When you moved house we provisioned you on the current speed of Unlimited Fibre and while the change I've made won't change your contract, I hope it helps boost your speed a little (Once you've got over the current issues that is).

I've just done this to keep the two profiles in sync, if the profile on your account resets (normally during a product change) we'll likely not be able to move you back to 55mbps as it's a legacy product.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet