cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new house same internet package but getting half the download speed.

Stylin
Grafter

new house same internet package but getting half the download speed.

downloading a game and im getting about 3.2mbs download speed, i used to get 6.5mb.

can staff here check out whats the problem?

22 REPLIES 22
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: new house same internet package but getting half the download speed.

The maximum speed you can get is dependant on how far you are from the street cabinet, or exchange if you are on the ADSL service and the quality of the telephone line.

If you put you telephone number in here it will tell you the speed obtainable at your new address https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Stylin
Grafter

Screenshot_95.png

according to that i can get up to 80mbps

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Something is clearly wrong. What speed do you get if you use the test socket, that's the one located behind the BT master socket front plate? You need to plug a filter in the test socket and connect your router directly to this. Then connect your router to a computer using an Ethernet cable and repeat the speed test.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What's the result of a BT speedtest http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then the IP profile from further diagnostics?
This video explains exactly what to do

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Are you on fibre or ADSL? From your readings it suggest ADSL. Only fibre would get you 80Mb. If on ADSL, maybe time to go to fibre.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Looking at that DSL checker the line is running 80 20 yesterday.

Is the speed you've posted a proper speed test, or the speed your game is downloading at?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just had a look into this from our side, records show an uninterrupted 16 day connection and the line is connected close to 36mbps. That tends to indicate WiFi issues when we see that. 

If you're unsure about that the best thing to do next is to test speeds over a wired connection to the router to see how they compare. 

We have a help guide here which would be worth taking a look at: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

In that case, presumably @Stylin is signed up for the 40Mb package.Smiley Maybe @Stylin doesn't realise to get nearer 80Mb they need to be on a different package.....queue Sales Smiley

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Stylin,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing poor speeds and for any confusion caused by my colleague's response - I've passed on feedback about this.

I can confirm that you're on our fibre extra package and your estimated download speed is 71.2-80mbps. I've tested your line and the test indicates that your line is currently syncing at 72.4mbps:

So that we can determine the best steps towards a resolution for you, please can you confirm whether the poor speed issue is solely affecting wireless connections or if wired connections are affected too?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Stylin
Grafter

when i moved into the house i did a speed test on WIFI internet and Cable internet - both had  the same speeds results on www.speedtest.net

Since then i have  never bothered using cable because the speed results were the same as the WIFI..

I can try again if you want me to...

could my set up in the routers be incorrect? some wire in the wrong place thats limiting speed?Huh

(sorry for late response been really busy)

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Stylin,

Thank you for getting back in touch.

We ideally would need you to run the performance tests via Ethernet cable so that we can be certain of whether the issue is your throughput (speed you see when running a performance test) or solely wireless. If it's performed via wireless and we are seeing the correct sync speed getting to your router the only assumption we have is that the issue is being caused by wireless interference.

Thanks again.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Stylin
Grafter

wow.. what just happened?? 

1  hour ago i did a speed test with my WIFI internet and i got 30 mbps and i just did it again and now im getting just below 3mbps?Huh

what could have happened in that short period of time? thats insane.

ok forget the above comment i just did another speed test and its back up to 30~  what could have caused the temporary dramatic drop in my wifi speed though?Huh

i will connect up the cable later and try for you... 

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

No problem @Stylin,

It's difficult to say without any data from wifi analysers. Did you have anything electrical powered on close to the router that's been powered off? Do you have anything on a timer in or near to your property?

Let us know how you get on with the wired test.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Stylin
Grafter

I just had the drop in speed on speed test over wifi again , was down to 2-3mbps   so i got cabled up and now im getting the 35 mbps, that speed is nothing out of the ordinary, i usually get that with the WIFI..I should be getting 70mpbs to 80mpbs right?Huh