cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new fibre line.. reboot or not?

daskinner
Grafter

new fibre line.. reboot or not?

Hi. I've read with fibre your line goes on a 10 training period and on the plusnet site it says reboot your modem a few times during this period and for better results do it in the morning.
Is this right?
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: new fibre line.. reboot or not?

nope, just leave it alone is the best option!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
daskinner
Grafter

Cheers, that's what I shall do.
Have a good day.
Also while I'm thing about it. Do you know anyway to check current line stats. I have the BT modem and TP link W8960N router.
Cheers.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

HI sadly BTO in their lack of wisdom have locked stats away on their modems for Fibre so there is no easy way to see them if at all, depending on what version of modem BT gave you there is a means.
if they gave you a Huawei EchoLife it is possible to unlock it using firmware, instructions on how to do this can be found online can't post them here.
If they gave you a ECI modem then your stuck becasue these cant be unlocked with firmware it requires a soldering iron and some electronic know how, again instructions can be found if you dig for them.
there is also another ways but of course will cost you, one will be to either get a unlocked one from a popular auction site, or buy a all in one modem / router and use that insted of the seperate BT modem and your current router. 
taras
Grafter

it is possible to unlock the eci modem without soldering, as you can get a cable that will sit on the pads Tongue but still this is a crazy situation by bt but randomly standard for them to do this (locking down firmware).
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The 10 day training period it's self will most likely cause a few modem resyncs.
These usually happen between 3am and 6am. They are usually too quick to register in the PN supplied routers log or to change your IP address, but they can be detected in a TBB ping graph as a red (packet loss) spike.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
Chris Pettitt's excellent article on how DLM works is well worth a read.
http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
daskinner
Grafter

Cheers for the links.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

There is no 10 day training period on fibre the connection is fully open for a couple of days DLM monitors this and then does what it thinks is best for the line.