cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my maximum rate is much higher than my data rate

maulz
Grafter

my maximum rate is much higher than my data rate

ok so i'm a recent account been set up about a month now all stable and working.

im paying for a 80/20 but in reality i'm geting about 52/19

i lowered my snr a little and got it to 58 with a v minor increase in errors  which is still  a way from the max rate my router reports of 72.

can anyone have a look and  see if it can be tweaked a little?

seems a disapointment to pay for a faster connection and not really getting it.

having had a 40/10 connection before with sky if thats the best the line can offer  then it seems pointless paying extra for only a minor improvement over 40/10.

thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: my maximum rate is much higher than my data rate

What were your estimated speeds?

The max attainable data rate is usually substantially higher than the actual rate when interleaving+FEC is being used for error protection. This is because the max attainable rate can be calculated using interleaving/FEC parameters adjusted for maximum bandwidth, but the line will actually have to use different interleaving/FEC parameters to provide the necessary level of error protection.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although I can't really add much on to what ejs has said regarding the difference between the attainable rate shown on the router and the actual capability of the line in practice.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 69.6 51.9 20 14.6 45.9 Available -- -- -- --

As the low end of your estimate is 51.9Mbps, if you're in sync at 52, you would just be within the estimates and our suppliers would likely reject a fault report due to the connection performing within the estimate. Undecided

@maulz wrote:
if thats the best the line can offer  then it seems pointless paying extra for only a minor improvement over 40/10.

It's worth keeping in mind that the lower fibre package we offer is 40/2, not 40/10. So downgrading to the lower package would drop your upload speed a fair amount.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
maulz
Grafter

as i pointed out that 40/10 connection was on sky. if i cant get a better speed and i'm paying for a better speed  then i would logically be  thinking of moving to  where i could get the deal i need. 40/2 is not going to be  something i would be happy with.  have to see how it goes. at the moment i am in a position where  its almost 50% faster than before so its on the cusp of acceptable. i was just hoping for better.