cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my broadband since renewing the contract

prettygrim49
Grafter

my broadband since renewing the contract

my location has no other option but to use Openreach as the supplier of equipment for internet connection and fibre was installed TTC. it has never been particularly good nor reliable and, as far as i am aware, only 4 ISPs are 'unbundled' in the local exchange, being talk-talk, sky, BT and Plusnet. i appreciate that changing ISP does nothing except put a new name at the top of the bill that i pay my monthly fees to. i was with sky for quite a while but they became very bad with speed, dropping down to levels of literally a few kbps. i tried BT but the connection was pretty unreliable, hence my move to Plusnet. i had similar problems again with speeds not being as advertised (originally supposed to be between 35-48mps. i didn't expect anything above the lower estimate, as i am approx 1.1km cable route from the exchange), and 32mps being the best i got. this never lasted long, with speed drops being pretty common and engineer visits to try to correct things. i have had spells during the 1st year of up to 41/2 months of consistent speed around the 30-31mps mark, with no router reboots but then things would go pear-shaped. the most notable change was as soon as i renewed the contract for the 2nd year and speeds fell to under 30mps and became pretty unstable, constant reboots etc and an engineer visit told me my profile had changed. put it back and all good for a while, then off we would go again. it carried on like this until i had another good spell of 70 days, no reboots, no issues, then just as it was renew time, problems again. speed down to 27mps and told the line wont cope. why? it was coping fine! no new houses, (and 3-4 cabinets in close proximity to one another, so didn't have to put all the new connections into the same one anyway) no new equipment or set up changes in the house, the telegraph pole is outside my house with 12 drop wires. given the lack of availability of how the equipment is supplied and that changing company basically does nothing, i called to renew the contract for year 3. the first thing i was told was that the guaranteed minimum speed had been lowered to 23.8 mps and no callouts would happen until the speed dropped below that. that seemed a bit off so still went ahead. 2 days after renewing, the speed dropped again down to 261/2mps. i waited to see what happened and sure enough, it dropped again to 25mps. i raised my concerns with Plusnet and was told that as my connection was stable at 25mps, nothing would be done. sure enough, a few days later, another reboot and the speed is under 25mps now. it seems to me that the connection is being deliberately throttled but cant prove it and Plusnet has obviously denied it but have offered no explanation when asked. i sent every log i have since joining Plusnet but they reckon 'the experts' can see nothing to indicate any interference by them or anyone else, even though it's plain to see when changes have occured, have then rejected all the logs but offered nothing to back up their statements. i am waiting to see how long it takes for the connection to go down to as low as possible but still be above the 'guaranteed minimum' because i honestly believe this is being done deliberately and if it isn't Plusnet, they should be fighting my corner with Openreach to get the speed back, to get the equipment rnewed/changed whatever so that the connection is what it is supposed to be, Superfast Broadband, not allowing the equipment to keep degrading so that speed loss is the norm.

i have put the case to the Ombudsman because of the unreasonable responses from Plusnet, but given the way things have gone, expect Plusnet to spill some BS so that i get the blame and nothing is done.

this post is as much a warning to the way Plusnet has behaved towards me, as a paying customer, for other customers to take note. beware of complaining about the service because yours could suddenly fall away. the ad says 'we'll do you proud'. what a load of rubbish! nothing like made me proud! even being on their list of OAPs with chronic health issues, relying greatly on the internet has been completely ignored, so there isn't much in the way of 'caring for customers' being thrown about! they know the alternative is non-existent, so staying is the only option but doing anything for customers seems to be furthest from their minds with taking the money at the forefront, the excuse being 'we cant tell Openreach what to do'. well you damn well can and should! plusnet is a customer of Openreach, regardless of whether they are under the same umbrella and Openreach have a duty of care to their customers to maintain the service they are being paid for, just as Plusnet has a duty of care to it's customers to do the same, not sweep things under the carpet and use threatening language to stop customers trying to keep the service they are paying for. pretty poor show, i think but screwed anyway!

oh, and before the suggestion is offered, the mobile service here is abysmal as well, so no option to use that!

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: my broadband since renewing the contract

@prettygrim49 

Can you explain this conspiracy theory of yours in a little more detail, for example, why is it in the interest of Plusnet or Openreach to deliberately throttle your speed?

You are clearly on a long line. More people are working from home increasing the traffic on the local infrastructure. More households are taking up broadband, more people streaming programmes, all resulting again in increased traffic and crosstalk on lines.

The result is a widespread general reduction in speed on the FTTC network, which I suspect will only get worse until we all get a proper FTTP service. So I fear that nothing more sinister than distance, infrastructure age, extra traffic and simple physics is the source of your slow down.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

prettygrim49
Grafter

Re: my broadband since renewing the contract

i would have totally agreed with you on all points except for the speed reduction within 2 days of contract renewal, the tone of the person i spoke to whose first words were we wont do anything to the connection unless it drops below the guaranteed minimum plus, which i forgot to mention, sorry, never had a downstream snr as high as over 8db before, which i suddenly have (indicating the Openreach DLM is trying to stabilise the connection? but cant because even openreach admits how pathetic that system is), that for some inexplicable reason Plusnet reckons that my line goes much further, in a completely different direction now to what it has done for 30years (how they've managed that, i have no idea as it's still connected to the same pole, no one has worked at that pole to change connections) and the long line you say i have of only 1.1km to the exchange, 500mtrs to the cabinet, that my next door neighbour (we share semi detached houses) and my neighbour 30 yds across the road are both on 32mps! conspiracy theory, maybe, but when i asked for explanations and information, i was totally ignored. if there was nothing to hide, why not explain what is going on? why suddenly drop the guaranteed minimum speed and say nothing will be done while it's not down to that? considering that kids are back at school and people are back at work, there shouldn't be many extra users now.