cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple wirfi connections to tg582

thistlec
Dabbler

multiple wirfi connections to tg582

i am having no luck connecting several wireless  units to the TG582.  in particular  wifi  IP cameras.
it seems to be a problem with the router. but i'm open to suggestions
i have 2 printers,  1 camera  and 2 computers  and a mobile phone linked to the router at the moment. 
there seems to be no problem  adding wired units to the router
10 REPLIES 10
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: multiple wirfi connections to tg582

Hi thistlec,
Sorry to hear that you're seeing problems with the wireless IP cameras. There have been mention of issues with wireless IP cameras in the past which have possibly been caused by the encryption level being used on the router not being compatible. If you're able to play around with this it should hopefully resolve the problem for you but if not, let us know and we'll see if we can help.
The fix is displayed in Reply#18 in the link above and it looks like a switch in security from 128bit to 64bit did the trick.
thistlec
Dabbler

only solution i have been able to find is to remove encryption altogether from the router.    each  camera and printer works 100%  with  encryption on its own....  but not at all when  camera's and printers and laptop  are all live  with encryption on...... 
wondering if this is a function of a 'cheap'  router ?Huh
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Perhaps try setting the 582n wireless encryption to WPA2 only.
thistlec
Dabbler

it would seem the only way to have multiple wireless connections to this router is to have no security..
pity no  plusnet staff  can comment on this...
have been told that only solution is to buy a quality router.
netgear 6300  seems to handle multiple  connections  with no probs...
picbits
Rising Star

I have a spare router (Edimax - cost about a tenner delivered) that  I set up as an access point which I use if I have an issue with the 582n (which tends to work with most stuff anyway).
In fact I have a couple of these set up  - one in the house and one in the workshop to give me reliable wireless away from the house.
taras
Grafter

multiple wireless ip cameras under encryption, will place the 582n under pressure because they aren't bursty traffic and the cpu/mem will buckle under this situation.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the wireless chip in the 582n (or any other router) will handle the encryption and decryption necessary for WPA2 so that the router cpu doesn't have to.
It might be interesting to know if Plusnet's new 2704N router works any better for the people who have problems with the 582n.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I have a Epson printer, Edimax webcam and cheap Chinese webcam, several phones, laptops, tablets all working on my PN router with WPA2 encryption, so not a router issue unless yours has a problem.
Mark
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: ejs
I think the wireless chip in the 582n (or any other router) will handle the encryption and decryption necessary for WPA2 so that the router cpu doesn't have to.
It might be interesting to know if Plusnet's new 2704N router works any better for the people who have problems with the 582n.

I'm more than happy to test one if they work on the fibre in the same way as the tg582n.
thistlec
Dabbler

thanks for suggestions... unfortunately none of them work...  the TG582  is the problem....  have  now moved to a netgear R6300 router  and  it supports    all 7  of my wifi cameras plus  4  printers,  2 laptops and 4  desktop computers plus  several phones    with no problems...     
so problem solved.... the TG  is just a rubbish cheap router...  at least i didn't have to pay for it!