cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more than 1 static address

mason64

more than 1 static address

Hi 

Is it possible to have more than 1 static ip address with plusnet fibre ( am a home user ) 

running a few applications and want 3 static ip addresses. i understand i paid £5 for 1 but can i pay £5 for another 1 or £10 for 2 more?

Thanks

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: more than 1 static address

I don't think so unless you're a business user - but someone may correct me if I am wrong.

Why do you need three?
Wouldn't port forwarding do what you want if you are having remote connections back to your home?

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Afternoon, 

We do not currently offer multiple static addresses for home use however do for business use( some information can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/understanding-your-ip-address/ )

However the same functionality could be setup with a single IP , even if hosting multiple webservers, Port forwarding and NAT for starters or the inclusion of a reverse proxy to take all requests and redirect them to which internal box is required.

Let me know if you need more info Smiley 

mason64

thanks for the quick reply. i was thinking of having two ip addresses mainly for 2 name servers and then another ip for an application i want to run. 

I will see what i can do with NAT on my draytek router.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I used port forwarding, what I did was to turn the devices from getting an internal IP from the DHCP server (router) and put them in manually so it is static - making sure it is outside the DHCP range. Then you know it will be same. If the IP changes it breaks the port fowarding rule.

I do a similar thing with my network laser printer - if the internal IP changed it would stop printing and I would have to re-install the printer driver. It was getting right on my nerves (better not say a more sweary version of that statment Police)

I think NAT will do what you want, like all these things I do - it annoys you a lot while you're trying to get it set up, but you'll be pleased once you have and it is working.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I will see what i can do with NAT on my draytek router.

You'll probably need to use the Port Redirection facility, see here https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_portforwarding.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.