cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

massive data usage

deejaycrox

massive data usage

Hello all.  I have been becoming increasingly concerned by the seemingly massive data use in my house. We get through over 200 GB a week.  The new usage page seems to list the vast majority of this as “Other” which is next to useless information.  

The reason I've joined the forum today to ask for help is that we were out of the country last week and we still appeared to chomp our way thorough 7GB a day.

What’s going on, and is there a way I can find out which device on my network is eating all this data?

5 REPLIES 5
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: massive data usage

The usage figures are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

This thread includes my recent experience of nonsensical figures.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @deejaycrox,

I'm afraid we can't see what the usage is specifically being used for, nor can we see how much individual devices are using, however you can view how many devices are connected to the wifi network and the device information. From what you've said it's possible that someone is using the wifi network without your knowledge and to prevent this from happening it may best to change the wifi username and passwords on your router. I've included a video walkthrough on how you can access your router to do this here.

Please let us know how this goes and if you see any improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
deejaycrox

I changed my passwords recently when I opened a ticket with Plusnet when they first saw the high data use. There are no unknown devices on my network as far as I can see from logging into my router.  Is there any way I can see which device uses what data?  The fact that it’s usung 7GB a day when we’re not even here is worrying.

deejaycrox

I also saw in another thread that the usage data page doesn’t accurately display Unlimited Customers data properly. Is this still the case and can you provide me with some actual figures?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @deejaycrox

I have sent a ticket outlining your hourly usage over a 24 hour period (might help narrow down what devices may have been in use at the time to cause such usage), you can view this here.

Some devices may still use internet even if they are not necessarily in use, for things such as downloading updates (Pc's, phones, Sky box etc).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team