cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linking 2x fibre connections together

Richsmif76

linking 2x fibre connections together

Getting fibre put in next Friday. ...pondering over adding a second line and putting fibre on that
Is there a router u can buy that agreates the links together
Says I'm going to get 65/20. ...I want 130/40
Have a big house hold here....don't mind cost just need advise
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: linking 2x fibre connections together

Hi, you can get load balancing and bonding routers from the likes of TP-Link or DrayTek. I'll stand corrected but to get bonding to actually work as you want it your ISP needs to support it and I don't think PN does.
x47c
Grafter

I don't think BTOR side support FTTC line bonding on residential lines let alone the various ISP's.
If you want this sort of thing then you are into bespoke commercial/business grade solutions most probably from business only ISP's - with a price tag to match
kmilburn
Grafter

As Mook indicated,  you need a router with load balancing support,  link bonding won't help without ISP support  (i.e. you need 1 IP address across all bonded links,  not the 1 IP address per link you'd get).
With load balancing,  you could if you wanted have multiple links over different carriers, e.g.  FTTC, Cable, and 3/4g.
Which router to get depends on the features you want and how much you're willing to spend.  The ASUS RT-AC68U is a good option feature wise, and supports a second WAN connection on USB or one of its LAN ports.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

This depends alot on what you actually intend to use the connection for, As others have said line bonding requires the ISP to support it, but load balancing over two independent connections is possible. This means the max speed on a single thread connection would only use the single line speed but while that connection is saturated the other line would be used for everything else.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you can see from my signature I have Dual Load Balanced ADSL Connections done using Two DrayTek Vigor 120 ADSL+ Modems and a TP-Link TL-R480T+ and for me is well worth the cost. When we eventually do get fibre here I have every intention of having dual fibre as well. In fact if the truth be told I would have quad ADSL in the interim but the congestion on the exchange kind of makes it pointless.
Like others have said your choice of hardware will determine what kind, and therefore cost, of the hardware you need.