cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line speeds dropping slowly

buzzliquid22
Dabbler

line speeds dropping slowly

so I've had fibre for a while and everything started off really well upload speeds were constantly around 19-20mb and downloads were stable around 72mb (a bit lower than promised but it was ok)
but recently my fibre has been getting slower
I did a test on speedtest.net and my uploads was "bouncy" one test showed 2mb while the next one showed 17mb
my donwload speed has dropped to around 60mb and doesnt seem to increase or inscrese...
I ran a wholesale check and click further diagnostics and recived back:

No Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) services have been found at this address. Please check the postcode or use the Telephone Number or Service ID to conduct the test.
Click here to try again.

any ideas or help would be awesome
21 REPLIES 21
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: line speeds dropping slowly

In the BTW Further Diagnostics screen, just enter your phone number in the box labelled "Telephone Number of the broadband circuit:". All the other boxers must be empty.

FTTC is not the same as FTTP  (by some way) and use totally different technology. From the message you have given, you are using FTTC.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @buzzliquid22
Line tests seem to indicate that your line is affected by an exchange problem at the moment.
That should be cleared by the end of the day but do let us know if nothing changes after that (as it may not) and we'll take another look for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
buzzliquid22
Dabbler

Quote from: SpendLessTime
In the BTW Further Diagnostics screen, just enter your phone number in the box labelled "Telephone Number of the broadband circuit:". All the other boxers must be empty.

FTTC is not the same as FTTP  (by some way) and use totally different technology. From the message you have given, you are using FTTC.

I'll do that next time thanks
buzzliquid22
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi @buzzliquid22
Line tests seem to indicate that your line is affected by an exchange problem at the moment.
That should be cleared by the end of the day but do let us know if nothing changes after that (as it may not) and we'll take another look for you.

how will i know when this issue is sorted? also will i have to restart my router?
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Mine has been dropping from 75mb to 63mb now its 61mb any chance you can check to see if there is something wrong at my exchange.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@buzzliquid22 line tests show that the exchange issue is still being worked on. I'll check back on this tomorrow for you.
@bustermissy1961 can I just double check you were connected over Ethernet rather than WiFi when you achieved those speeds?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Yes Ethernet Adam.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks bustermissy1961,
Tests don't indicate any obvious issues.
I'd test the speeds again today if you haven't already and report a fault at http://faults.plus.net
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bustermissy1961
Grafter

The speeds are exactly the same. thing is if i raise a fault they might want to send an engineer out and i cant afford for them to come back and say the speeds are fine then i get billed. i wonder how many other customers are in the same boat of just allowing their speeds to drop knowing that if an engineer is sent out they could be liable for any potential bill. All i know is my speeds have dropped from 75mb to 61mb, now compared to some on here my speeds are amazingly fast, but considering i only live 56metres from my cabinet i should be getting good speeds.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

i wonder how many other customers are in the same boat of just allowing their speeds to drop knowing that if an engineer is sent out they could be liable for any potential bill

In all honesty no one should ever need to feel that way as a charge is only levied if the cause of what you're reporting is found to be either due to your equipment, the misoperation of it or if an engineer can't access your property during the agreed timeslot.
From what I can tell by looking at your account you have a separate Openreach modem and Plusnet router. If I'm correct it would be wise to connect directly to the modem and see if the same problem occurs, that would then rule out the router as a potential cause of what you're seeing.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
buzzliquid22
Dabbler

I'm still wondering about my connection... I'm not willing to restart my router unless i know the issue is sorted

on a side note we had openreach at our house once the engineer said the fault was at the first port in the house (BT's property & liability)
after he replaced the master socket... our next bill had a £150 callout fee which shouldn't of been applied!
we fought that bill for 2 months calling BT every evening, being hung up on, being fobbed off
in the end i sent a e-mail to the MD of BT and had the bill waived it's unreal how hard it was to fight a bill that we shouldn't of been charged in the first place
lesjack

I've noticed that ours has been doing something similar.
When first installed, we used to hit 70Mbps down, now we barely hit 57Mbps down.
We've been told many times there's no faults, or that it's out internal wiring (Though we do have some pointless wiring leading to our master socket, it cannot be replaced easily), I don't understand how that could be the issue if we've managed to see 70Mbps in the past.
From my understanding, there should be by far enough bandwidth heading to our nearest fibre cabinet for the homes in my small village, I'm well aware a lot of homes in my village still use ADSL2+.
Am I missing something here?
Old stuff, but I'd assume the 'Pro' addon wouldn't make any different to that either?
buzzliquid22
Dabbler

Quote from: lesjack
Am I missing something here?
Old stuff, but I'd assume the 'Pro' addon wouldn't make any different to that either?

probably not... what i find odd is that the upload speed isnt affected...
and if it is it's a minor difference (around 1meg)
buzzliquid22
Dabbler

Aparently I can request that my profile is reset? is that a wise thing to ask for? seeing i was getting a much faster connection when i initially started on fiber