cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line speed

rodtrotter
Grafter

line speed

hi could anyone tell me why my line speed is getting lowered every time i check its lower it was 77.4Mb it is now 57.4 Mb i have had it now for about 6 weeks i reset my router the other day to sort out wifi problems could that be it i know bt are doing lots of new connections the village where i live has just got FTTC so every one is going mad for it Shocked
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Re: line speed

I suspect you may have answered your own question. Contention I guess. "... everyone is going mad for it"
Community Veteran

If it is the line speed dropping (seen directly, or seen by the IP profile reducing), rather than just download speeds dropping, then it is more likely to be crosstalk than contention. Crosstalk is the noise from all those other FTTC modems - and becomes a large component of the noise environment as the takeup increases.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 33

Hi there,
Given what's been mentioned about new fibre connections being deployed in your area that could be the likely cause for this to be honest.
I'm sorry we're unable to give you an idea as to what extent that might affect your experience at the moment but I would advise you to go ahead and report a fault if the downward trend continues: http://faults.plus.net
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Merlin
Grafter

Just checked my download speed with speedtest.net  I has always been pretty consistent at 70+ Mbs but now down to max 40Mbs with the London server and ca 30Mbs to Manchester/Liverpool.  Upload speed is also down.  These speeds are more in line with the standard FTTC offering than the Unlimited which I pay for.
Embarrassed
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 33

Hi Merlin,
Were those speed tests done over a WiFi connection? If so that could well account for the difference in speeds.
Otherwise if you did complete those tests over a wired connection I'd report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team