Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

??line fault

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

??line fault

I have just signed up to Fibre with Plusnet. 1 question I have is, I have had a niggling line fault for a while now, manifesting as intermittent noise that lasts a few days, and then goes away for a while. Occ I get sync drops on incoming calls when this happens. Umpteen engineers have been over the years, and never managed to fully fix the issue, usually doing D side swaps.  Will this affect my fibre installation?  Also I have been told my line when it joins the main bundle to the cab, goes from Copper to aluminium, for approx the last 50 or so metres, will thsi also be an issue.  The BTW estimates for my line are about 60ish down and 20up.
I  have received the router already....  Can I configure the router before the install, or do I need to wait for the install to take place, before configuration.
thanks in advance
23 REPLIES 23
ricke17
Grafter

Re: ??line fault

I cannot answer your technical questions, and hopefully someone can soon, but I'd hold off until you're fully installed to whack in the router plus you will need the openreach modem too which the engineer will bring with him.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should configure the unit before install as that will avoid the wait for the TR069 to work
Aluminium is horrible and may well affect the end result
Whether the problem will go away rather depends on where the problem is - if it between the cab and the exchange it will
If it is between you and the cab - I have no idea other than the fact that the fibre frequencies are a lot further from the voice frequencies (minimum 2.2MHz) so may be more resistant to problems
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that. Will configure router later. Any ideaa who makes their new router.  Sounds like a wait and see for the line issues then....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just been reading up on the threads about this router.  It appears that you cannot give devices a static ip on the home network.. I have a couple of devices that have static ips. If this is the case is it possible to reflash my 582n to the fttc firmware?? If so which ethernet port will it use for the wan connection
supernova1
Grafter

Hi Penfold,
Using your normal login and pass word try this:-
192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
You should be able to reset the DHCP pool range outside your fixed IP devices.
ATB
SN
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

You can also use Static ip Lease In expert_user as well.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well got fibre installed today.  Pretty uneventful, although it was a contractor and not an openreach engineer.
All seems fine apart from the download speed is the same as ADSL.  i got an e-mail this morning stating that the product change was complete, and I checked my speed settings on mt account and could see my estimated speeds were 40Mb and actual speed had been set to 40Mb (not on the full 80mb product).  Connected my devices and saw that speeds were not as fast as expected, so ran a speed check, and its at 5.3Mb, but upload at 17ish.  Tried the BT test, but it wouldnt complete, and give me my stats.  Rechecked the broadband speed page, and its reset to the ADSl speeds.

Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
    BLACKBURN
Estimated line speed:
    40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-02-10 16:28:15
Current line speed:
    5.8 Mb
Can a member of DCT please reset for me 🙂 
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Disconnect, reconnect and let me know your new speeds please.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for being thick. How do I do this on the new router
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Go to 192.168.1.254 and you should have a disconnect button which should change to a connect button once you've hit it.
You may need to log in to the router (password is under the router).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Once you're on that page, next to internet status, you should see the Connected state with the button next to it.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Cheers tony.  Need to get used to the new interface.
Download now 38Mbps, upload 18.
Happy chap.
Out of interest, whats my sync speed?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The order hasn't closed yet so I can't see any line stats. Hopefully, if you ask tomorrow, we should have that information.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team