cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leave router on ? or turn off?

stuart1502

leave router on ? or turn off?

Hello
I am new to fibre broadband, just had the kit put in on 20/02/2015.
Openreach modem and Plus Net router - new style one for 2015
The engineer mentioned that I should not turn off the modem and leave on all the time
otherwise the line monitoring may think there is a fault.
Question? can I turn off the router that plugs into the modem via the Ethernet cable.
I would prefer to turn off the router at night time when I go to bed.
Speed is only about half of what I should expect but I realise that it takes 10 days to settle down,
so wont worry about that yet.
thanks for any help
6 REPLIES 6
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: leave router on ? or turn off?

You can turn everything off except the modem, yes.  As for the 10 day training there is none for fibre that is just ADSL, so if still getting ADSL speeds then check that the portal profile has been changed on the PN side at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and that the BT IP profile has changed for fibre at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and further diagnostics
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
stuart1502

Fantastic I do like to turn electrics off at night time but will leave router on.
will check out the sites you have added regarding speed. its fibre only to the cabinet
which is only a quarter of a mile away, so I guess I should get as close to the 40mb as
should
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Just to be sure as you said router, leave the modem[the one connected to the phone socket] on, but everything else is ok to turn off
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
stuart1502

The links you gave me were spot on
my fibre should be 40 [I know its capable of up to 63} but only pay for up to 40mb so fair enough.
and the BT test using Ethernet cable and following all instructions gave me 37mb  which OK by me
using wireless dropped it down to about 25mb I think.
As I use wireless is there a better faster router?  prefer Netgear brand as I am using Netgear DGN 2200V4
which is a couple of years old I think now maybe a touch less, and think the Netgear product is quite good.
Will I ever get the 37mb with wireless or only if Ethernet cable plugged in.
Previously had only about 3mb on old none fibre broadband, but would like to achieve the best possible download speed on wireless
Thanks for your very prompt responses - very impressed. Smiley
Dhaos
Grafter

see what wifi channels your neighbours are on and find one that is the least congested, i am on Fibre Extra and get 73mb over wifi, but i am running on a 5ghz band which has less competition and i am only 1 room (12 meters) from the router.
https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/
stuart1502

I am on a different band width to others close by, the Netgear gene software allows me to see and alter that.
but router is 2.5ghz.
any other tips may be new router better spec? laptop has N card wireless so does router
I have more than one room but only use in main room and I am about 6 meters away from router.
Update
tis may help others. I had set my router Wi-Fi frequency to band 3 but then set it to automatic - the difference jumped up to 37mb
Auto setting put me on band 1 there are one or two others in the area on same band but this seems to have cured it.
The original Plusnet router is also set to Auto frequency and is on band 1 too both are near identical download speed,
Plusnet router has slight edge by 2 or 3 meg using BT test page but getting almost what I should on WI-FI now  which is good
enough