Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latency spikes every few seconds

Les872
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: latency spikes every few seconds

Would the pro addon be worth looking at to help with the usage? and yea I've been looking at some modem/routers on amazon that would be cheaper than the plusnet one and have more features and settings, might be worth getting one to rule out the modem.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hmm, so not so full beans then....

54 on one and 64.9 on another. That could be how those testers work.

On the next post, I'm not sure why your dsl report doesn't give a speed grade.

Beats mine though, just me, nothing else connected

what and when.PNG

The TBB one shows a so start, but would have thought it would be quicker to ramp up.

You've only lost 7Mbps when loading up, that should still not make gaming laggy imho. So what's the cause?

Those tests you've done show minimal latency. If you're just seeing higher latency when other devices are using the connection then this is sadly normal and can't really be avoided I'm afraid.

Get what you're saying ;), just one would have thought that in this modern day lifestyle, doing other stuff shouldn't make gaming all but unplayable. A bit of Kodi and some gaming should work fine, especially with those speeds.

Unless you've already tried this, it may be looking at the possibility of a failing router and I'd recommend trying a factory reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 20 seconds

Erm, bufferbloat - see mine above for an example. I've seen that test running at 1200ms (yes 1200) during the test, just me, my laptop, my phone. Why would the router struggle to cope - <coughs> 263 firmware, perhaps!!

we don't have any traffic management or prioritisation for unlimited residential packages and we haven't had this since June 2017 if memory serves me correctly.

Yep, heard that too ;). But is it really switched off!! How could Kodi affect gaming, or Farce Time kill YT? Or Netflix cripple streaming or 2 xb's on the same session on the same server, playing friends only, with only me and my lad cause both of us to witness lagging, or joining others causing one or both to get kicked from the session - all ethernet too.

I know

We've made some improvements to our network which will improve your connection to some popular high bandwidth services such as YouTube and Netflix. We will no longer be able to track your usage on these services which means the information below will not accurately reflect your usage.

But answer why since being with PN we were faced with the above, and one day I may actually partake in gaming once more Wink

Could you have fixed one issue, but created another one instead?

(I didn't have these issues via ADSL via a rival, but now I do - same devices, just served by PN via a PN router)

As always, just my thoughts Wink

Les872
Grafter

Those numbers hurt me inside

DS
Seasoned Champion

I had to factory reset the hub when the engineer came because he couldn't connect to the wifi

This is an entirely different issue, which probably* relates to firmware 263

*or possibly, though I think there is now a link.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Les872 wrote:

Would the pro addon be worth looking at to help with the usage? 

It's possible but you shouldn't need it at the speeds you're getting.

Generally it's only really useful nowadays if you've got a really slow connection.

and yea I've been looking at some modem/routers on amazon that would be cheaper than the plusnet one and have more features and settings, might be worth getting one to rule out the modem.

In my opinion a replacement router probably is the next way to go and if you don't mind splashing out on a 3rd party one, I'd go for it. We're still more than happy to provide a replacement Plusnet one though if your dad is up for one of the options I've mentioned in the support ticket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

Those numbers hurt me inside

Funny

But it gets better....

Tried to go to MS store and download their network tester and got this

eg.PNG

(the above was earlier, same old - me - laptop - phone

So, let's go to do a new dsl test, on a clean browser, nothing updating and

before testing.PNG

(note BEFORE the test even began

Then during

during.PNG

(can be green, but can be much higher)

So, does the router cough and poop it's pants when you try and go full beans?

(unless that tester is wrong too, I can only say something outside of my control causes this)

edit

Generally it's only really useful nowadays if you've got a really slow connection.

I have honestly thought about that, but kinda hoped and prayed taking YouView from you would have opened the taps a little... just a little

But what with the sums paid thus far, didn't want to give you any more!! Wink

Les872
Grafter

Hes undecided atm but Im looking at the prices and telling him

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah fair, no worries let us know if we can assist further in any way.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Les872
Grafter

DS
Seasoned Champion

Never owned one and never used one, but it might be worth you reading up on the settings you may need to connect it to the PN network Wink

It will be interesting to see if you see an improvement, if you do, then it does kinda point to the router being the guilty party.

If you see no gain, then apart from your gear, or the network, then I'm not sure how'd you crack this mystery.

Les872
Grafter

Yea I hope it fixes my problems before the contract is up on the 2nd, if not I might have to switch to a LLU which could also fix it.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Ours doesn't end for some time, unless they release me early due to connection 'issues', but we're thinking the same too.

Anyway, you'll have a several days to find out if it 'fixes' your issues Wink

Les872
Grafter

Is the speed not under your guaranteed speed?

DS
Seasoned Champion

No and yes

Sometimes it's under, but sometimes its over Crazy2

The BT dsl checker gives max d/l 32Mbps, min d/l 21.8Mbps - handback threshold 19.1Mbps with u/l max 5.3, min u/l 3.2Mbps

Openreach engineers state my minimum is actually 18.7(ish - I forget)Mbps

I've not had 22Mbps for a while, normally 18ish give or take. It varies from day to day.

The upload was always no more than 1.8Mbps for all the time we've been with PN. Openreach engineer number 3 got the upload up to around 3Mbps. It does report 31Mbps on the download, but again not very often.

Engineer #4 came today, didn't do much tbh.

I'm giving a BTH6 a go, if it continues to drop, then I'm outta here.

edit.Just checked using that link again and found the following

Observed Speeds

32.71 d/l and 5.38 on 22/03/19

I'm sorry, but that's total [-Censored-]s!!!

Even more convinced jumping ship is my only way to go - I'm actually livid!!!!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.