Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latency spikes every few seconds

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: latency spikes every few seconds

P.S - I have just manually upped your profile from this side.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Well, sneaking a quick ps in there Roll_eyes. You could've said we're now giving you the full beans!!

Hopefully Les872 will see a good improvement Wink

Hopefully.....Lips_are_sealed

Les872
Grafter
Fixes: 1

My dad watches stuff in his now tv usb stick and kodi surely those don't use all the connection while I'm gaming?

Les872
Grafter

Also just did another test, I don't see any difference what's upping the profile do?

Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Les872, thanks for getting back to us.

It's entirely possible for streaming to interfere with your gaming, however, at the sync speeds you're seeing I wouldn't really expect it to.

The profile that your line is set to is essentially the top speed you're able to receive.

Les872
Grafter

Yea I was doubtful that just streaming and gaming would use like 50/60mb but I cant think of what else it could be lol.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Here's just one some examples.

I use an advert blocker and tend to watch cr*p on Youtube - nice commercial free viewing Wink

My dear Wife and my daughter were on a conference call (both here) to friends somewhere in the world.

Their call cut and my viewing was interrupted - badly.

They moved to 4G data and their call continued just fine

I was then able to continue watching.

So, where was the 'restriction' coming from.....?

Another example, we all watch Netflix on occasion, some more than others (the 2 I've mentioned Roll_eyes)

My YT viewing pleasure is also either stopped by buffering, or the PQ is very poor.

I did ask the question of 'does Plusnet put our connection in to  a standby mode, similar to Talk-Talk' and the reply was they don't think they do, but one (Whom I'll not name) was going to check. Never got a reply, but never mind Wink

Other fellow customers have also noticed their 'full beans' was for unknown reasons were 'half eaten beans' and for some 'manual intervention' to override the 'auto systems' appears to fix this too. Some would think that PN are 'guilty' of artificially reducing theirs (and ours) connections. Could that be so systems can cope.... IDK, but something imho doesn't seem quite right. I shall say no more Wink

edit. I got a little carried away. And we used to be gamers (2 of us) but we gave up in the end. Getting kicked from sessions or actually putting 2 xb's next to each other and watching us lag on each screen was the final nail for us.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Les872, thanks for getting back to us.

Can you try running a test at a 3rd party site such as the one found on Google?

DS
Seasoned Champion

With the greatest respect for the PN forum staff.

Here's another new report - https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Latency-spikes-and-lags-while-playing/m-p/1625106#M3309...

I'm making an assumption here, if that user is wired, then why are we seeing these reports of gamers having issues. Even if it's over wifi, assuming the firmware isn't the cause, it should (in theory) work good enough over a wireless connection too.

As some gamers do, they have other content playing whilst gaming

Why do a 'few' of us have these issues....?

Is it how the network prioritizes the content?

Do you know if Kelly ever found out why 141 hiper and 137 hiper sometimes time out?

(I'll say no more, but totally get their frustration, being an ex-gamer myself)

@Les872 give both of these a try and post up the results -

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/

Firstly, just you wired and then repeat with your Dad on Kodi etc.

Les872
Grafter

@OskarPapa Screenshot_3.jpgScreenshot_5.jpg

Gateshead/Newcastle is the closest one to me so I would expect a fast speed to them but that 64 is above what I used to get I think

Les872
Grafter

Just me on wired

Screenshot_6.jpgScreenshot_7.jpg

Les872
Grafter

While the now tv is on and im sitting in lobby on apex legends

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/47762355

Screenshot_9.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Les872 

Those tests you've done show minimal latency. If you're just seeing higher latency when other devices are using the connection then this is sadly normal and can't really be avoided I'm afraid.

Do you still have the ThinkBroadband Quality Monitoring running?

If you do could you provide a link, would be interested to see the results.

Unless you've already tried this, it may be looking at the possibility of a failing router and I'd recommend trying a factory reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 20 seconds. 

@DS, we don't have any traffic management or prioritisation for unlimited residential packages and we haven't had this since June 2017 if memory serves me correctly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Les872
Grafter

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/363ddb064e17226303f958248719d13d898b8d46

Hello I had to factory reset the hub when the engineer came because he couldn't connect to the wifi, he put down that we need a new hub hows that coming along? also my ip address changed so I had to update the monitor.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for getting back to us and for setting up the BQM.

So far to my eye it doesn't show anything odd apart from the connection is being used, but leaving it to run over the next few days may yield further results.

Engineer notes don't mention anything about the router being materially faulty, though having said that I agree that that may be the next step to go in trying to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve this issue.

As the router we've sent previously is no longer under warranty we can't replace it free of charge I'm afraid, but I've updated the support ticket 188603229 with steps the account holder can take to obtain a new one from us.

Alternatively, you'd be free to purchase your own 3rd party router setting it up using the connection details found Here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet