Did you mean: 

latency spikes every few seconds

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: latency spikes every few seconds

OK cool no worries, let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Les872
Grafter
Fixes: 1

The engineer has been and has done some tests, he couldn't connect to the our wifi so I had to factory reset the hub. We are getting 72mb to the socket but I've only seen about 50 to 60 max, he couldn't see any faults on the line and says it's most likely the router so he has put down that we need a new one trough to plusnet hopefully that will fix it. Also said the cabinet we are connected to is a mess lol.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've retested the line and we can't see any cause for this.

Just to confirm were the tests done over ethernet?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Les872
Grafter

Yes it was done on Ethernet I think he also did some test on wifi too.

Mackem1973
Grafter

Find it strange reading all the problems people are having yet its never anything to do with the lines. still having trouble with mine using wifi and ethernet  but just get the same rhetorical i just gave in 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Les872 As our testing hasn't identified any issues with your service please follow the steps below we can investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background. This must be done on a wired connection and not wireless Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics. Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation

@Mackem1973 Sorry to hear you're also having issues. We've tested your line and we can't see any issues. Can you carry out the same steps posted above?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Les872
Grafter

Have you even read the older messages on this thread? I've done that a number of times. 

Les872
Grafter

It never says anything is wrong I just see that the ping on the actual speed test part is sky high. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

The images you posted on page one are not a complete BTw test result.

Looking at the ones you posted, there is a further diagnostics button.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics. Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation

It's only after clicking that, putting your landline number, letting the tap3 test complete that Plusnet get to see these results (as they get saved on the server). They and if needs be Openreach can use these results to see if there's a problem.

(just pointing it out ;))

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Les872

The info provided by both my colleague and @DS is correct - we'd need you to follow through with the "further diagnostics" option so that we can review the results of your speed test.

Best wishes

Dave

Les872
Grafter

Sorry about that, all this is a bit frustrating. Here's the screenshots of the tests

Test 1Test 1Test 1Test 1Test 2Test 2Test 2Test 2

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Les872

Thanks for those images.

The ping on both tests seems fine though?

- Dave

Les872
Grafter

It's an intermittent Issue. here's a screenshot of when It was pretty bad while playing a multiplayer game on the 20th. 

Screenshot_10.pngScreenshot_18.png

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Les872 I think we're in the same boat, well kinda anyway....

This happens to us too, when one of us is 'using' the interweb, other devices can often grind to a halt and become laggy.

They do say to test when no one else is using the internet during the tests, but this doesn't show the issue - for us anyway when some are using others suffer.

However, my speed is way off yours - about 18-26Mbps seems to be where we can be at.

It's hard to see on the final test, but looks like your profile is set to around 55?Mbps, yet you could go (checked by squinting at the image) of 60?(ish). What you should get and what you can get should, imo, not be far off from one another.

I've just read another post and PN have manually upped it. Though as I'm guessing at your figures, maybe they could or maybe not based on my guessing,but tweak it and give you the full beans (of what your line can take)

Regardless, I totally get where you're coming from, more so for you as you seem to have enough 'fuel in the tank' to go faster for longer - my crude way of saying you're getting a lot faster speed than me Wink

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've tried embedding it but it just comes up as text, been playing apex legends since 1pm and I've turned everything else off and disabled the wireless on the hub and its running much better, the graph seems to say so too hmm.

Thanks for the update, @Les872 

Having sent an engineer and for that engineer to have confirmed that there's no fault present, I can only refer you back to one of your previous posts above and reiterate that the lag/drop in throughput is likely down to other devices/programs/apps using the bandwidth whilst you're gaming or the internal wiring of your premises - these are the only two things which have not been tested by the engineer. The router you have has shown it is capable of delivering the speeds/latency that we'd expect and it's therefore unlikely that the router is at fault.

As a fellow gamer, I sympathise with your predicament, however, you may have to look elsewhere in order to narrow down and resolve your lag issue - everything we are responsible for appears to be working as expected.

Best wishes

Dave