cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ive recently switched from BT to Plusnet

cufc1210
Hooked

ive recently switched from BT to Plusnet

I have recently switched from BT to plusnet , BT service was good but the prices were getting silly, I installed the plusnet router and it worked ok for a couple of days since then I have had little to no connection. the router is constantly flashing orange and every now and again it will turn blue and we have connection Smiley for about 10 seconds :(.

I am having to use my I phone hotspot (not cheap) just to post this message that's how bad it is.

I was really pleased that I moved initially as I had heard good things about Plusnet,  but I'm regretting making the switch now  Sad

if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong could you let me know your suggestions

10 REPLIES 10
VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: ive recently switched from BT to Plusnet

Have you still got your BT Hub? You may be able to change the username and password in that to your Plusnet one. At least this would rule out the Plusnet router as being the problem if it still exists.

cufc1210
Hooked

Alas when the new router was installed the old BT hub was binned so no chance of checking to see if that is the issue,

Problem still exists think ive had connection for about 3 minutes today

thanks for the response though 

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi,

Have you started the faults process with PN?

Either via phone or https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

If you follow the process & perform all the tests it minimises the chance that the fault is due to an issue with the telephone wiring in your house. Openreach charge ISPs  and customers if the fault is found in the house.

Things like the existing faceplate filter or microfilters and telephone extension cables should be bypassed by connecting the router directly to the BT test socket with a new or known good microfilters.

Richard

cufc1210
Hooked

Thanks for the reply Richard, my router has been connected to the BT test Socket for 12hours plus but the issue is still the same, I have used the micro filter that I used for BT with the old wiring and have used the new filter and wiring supplied to no avail. I have left it with plusnet now to investigate, hopefully they can fix it

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your connection hasn't worked since the switch.

It looks like the password stored in your router is incorrect.

Can you try resetting it using the pinhole on the back?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
cufc1210
Hooked

Thanks Mathew

that does appear to have helped with the router logging in but it is still very unstable it does stay on for about 20/30 minutes (sometimes longer) at a time but then it just disconnects although the time for the router to log back on doesn't take as long.

with regards to the router password being incorrect was this something that we did when installing  

Tags (1)
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @cufc1210 and thanks for coming back to us with that information.

I've retested the line and it looks as though a fault called a "Copper Joint Impairment" may be affecting the connectivity of your line. As such, we'll need to send an engineer to investigate this further.

Could you please respond to your fault ticket here and I'll ensure that this is booked into for you as soon as you prompt us that you've done so?

Best wishes,

Dave

cufc1210
Hooked

so this issue was never fixed properly, the broadband is at times very slow or unusable, i contacted the help desk to ask how ii go about leaving my contract only to be told that i had to go through all the tests again to see if it was my equipment.

Dont know why wee have to go through this all again when an engineer came out last time and put a report in saying what was wrong.  i was then told i could not be helped if i couldn't  do the tests again 

i am very disappointed with the service and now just want to leave but don't think i should have to pay the remainder of my contract which has been unsatisfactory anyways. 

Could someone please get in touch with me via my mobile phone or email to let me know what my options are. i dont want to go to ofcom but i am at the stage where i feel this is the only option left open to me.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @cufc1210

Good to hear from you again - it's been a while!

I've read through your post and through the tickets on your account to refresh my memory.

I'd like to add some clarity around why my colleagues are asking to to re-run the diagnostics before we send another engineer/cancel the account without charge:

1). Your last fault was raised four months ago - its quite likely that a different fault cause is now evident.

2). Your last fault was confirmed as resolved by yourself via a courtesy call recorded on a ticket here.

3). The copper joint impairment which affected your service in July/August no longer exists.

4). Your connection is syncing up at 70mb/s+

5). With the above in mind, should an engineer attend and the fault turn out to be within your premises, you'll be charged £65. Obviously we want to safeguard you against that.

6). Cancelling the service on the basis of a the above would only happen if you were to pay any early termination fees which were due - as things stand, the external connection to your premises seems to be working as it should which is what our remit as your service provider covers.

That being said, there are definitely drops occurring on a regular basis which would affect both the connectivity and speed of your internet service. My advice would be to run through the diagnostics as you've been asked and then raise a further fault (which I can see you attempted recently). Even if you ultimately intend to move to another ISP, its sensible to get whatever is affecting your service sorted first, otherwise you're just going to run into the same issues further down the line. Alternatively, you can discuss cancellation and any fees which are applicable with our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197 (Both free from a Plusnet Landline) 

Let me know if/when you raise a fault - happy to take a look for you.

Best wishes

Dave

cufc1210
Hooked

Hi Randall

Thankyou for your reply

Please see below my response to your points apologies i did respond to your email immediately but obviously that has not been seen 

Also for info the internet service provided has dropped out on at least 9 occasions since this morning, i have run all the tests required and to be honest every thing works fine then it goes off again or slows down again, i run the tests again everything is fine then it goes off again, 

a terrible service from the time i signed up and it is regrettable that i chose yourselves on price as i am obviously paying for a low quality service, i guess its true you get what you pay for, interestingly the internet works fine for me to get my bill emailed through 

Hi cufc1210,

RandallFlagg (Plusnet Help Team) mentioned you in a post! Take a look at what they said and join in the conversation here:

Hi @cufc1210

Good to hear from you again - it's been a while!

I've read through your post and through the tickets on your account to refresh my memory.

I'd like to add some clarity around why my colleagues are asking to to re-run the diagnostics before we send another engineer/cancel the account without charge:

1). Your last fault was raised four months ago - its quite likely that a different fault cause is now evident.  

This issue was never resolved and in the last 4 months the problem has occurred intermittently so it has to be the same fault

2). Your last fault was confirmed as resolved by yourself via a courtesy call recorded on a ticket here.

I never confirmed that the fault was rectified via a courtesy call in fact I don’t recall having a conversation with any one from plusnet over the phone, unless my mind has gone blank I would be grateful if you could provide a transcript of this call and if it did occur I would send my appologies. For info my home phone has never been connected since the BT engineer called out  

3). The copper joint impairment which affected your service in July/August no longer exists.

I cant comment on this as I am not technically minded

4). Your connection is syncing up at 70mb/s+  

I have run numerous speed tests on my modem and the most I have ever had was 56MPBS when I contacted your team last time I was getting speeds at 17mbps 21mbps I am constantly having to reset the modem, I have just now run a speed test  and am getting a speed of 26mbps (link below) for fairness I have run a further two tests and am getting speeds of 47.7mbps and 12.7mbps none of which are close to 70mb/s+

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/83d29700-fb1d-11e8-93f8-b984f456f5f1

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/df712e00-fb1d-11e8-93f8-b984f456f5f1

http://mybroadbandspeed.speedtestcustom.com/result/13d46f40-fb1e-11e8-93f8-b984f456f5f1

5). With the above in mind, should an engineer attend and the fault turn out to be within your premises, you'll be charged £65. Obviously we want to safeguard you against that.  

Don’t think the fault can be with my equipment as the only change made to the equipment from last time was the new socket that the engineer installed

6). Cancelling the service on the basis of a the above would only happen if you were to pay any early termination fees which were due - as things stand, the external connection to your premises seems to be working as it should which is what our remit as your service provider covers. The engineer said the fault was not in our premises last time and as we have made no changed I don’t see how its possible that the external connection is working correctly as our MBP/s speed is beyond poor,  

That being said, there are definitely drops occurring on a regular basis which would affect both the connectivity and speed of your internet service. My advice would be to run through the diagnostics as you've been asked and then raise a further fault (which I can see you attempted recently). Even if you ultimately intend to move to another ISP, its sensible to get whatever is affecting your service sorted first, otherwise you're just going to run into the same issues further down the line. Alternatively, you can discuss cancellation and any fees which are applicable with our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197 (Both free from a Plusnet Landline) 

I understand that you would charge me to leave plusnet but believe this to be unfair as the service I have received has not been great since I left BT to join you. I now realise that was a huge error and I should have looked at alternatice suppliers, I joined you for the price (I could have got similar elsewhere) the service (quite frankly this has been rubbish) and the customer service which I was lead to believe was 1st class (I haven’t found that to be honest).

I understand that I will need to consider taking this up with Ofcom but this would be a last resort