cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra?

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: is this Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra?

Thanks for getting in touch @SteveA 

I'm sorry for the issues with renewing and your speed.

I can confirm you're provisioned on 80/20. Your package is a legacy one named Plusnet Unlimited Fibre which is the same in every way as the modern day Unlimited Fibre Extra. Unfortunately it looks like the particular system that provides a renewal offer online is confusing the legacy fibre extra package with the current Unlimited Fibre (40/10) package.

If you want to renew your contract on fibre extra I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632. They may be able to move you to the current fibre extra naming in the process to avoid this issue in future.

With regards to your speed, together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

As a side note, 

@Browni wrote:

Going back a few years there was a package called 'Unlimited Fibre' that had 80/20 speeds.

Plusnet's naming convention can lead to some confusion 

I believe you're referring to our legacy 40/20 package that was 80/20 capped down by us, which we then withdrew in favour of 40/2 but moved existing 40/20 users on to 55/10 as a goodwill gesture. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Gandalf wrote:
I believe you're referring to our legacy 40/20 package that was 80/20 capped down by us, which we then withdrew in favour of 40/2 but moved existing 40/20 users on to 55/10 as a goodwill gesture. 

No, I was referring to legacy 'Plusnet Unlimited Fibre' but missed the 'Plusnet' prefix.

I rest my case about confusing naming standards 🤣

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Leapy 

Although you would have to change providers you at least have the option of WBC FTTP.

@SteveA 

Try your number here to see if there are any plans for your area

www.openreach.com/

Brian

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@bmc  -  only a vague future promise of FTTP,:

Full Fibre (Fibre to the Premises - FTTP)

Technology that supports speeds up to 1Gbps

Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. Full Fibre is our fastest technology, but your exact speed will depend on which broadband provider and package you choose. Sign up for news and updates.

It's been "soon" for as long as they've been talking about it.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@SteveA  On my block we already have Full Fibre (Fibre to the Premises - FTTP) Technology that supports speeds up to 1Gbps, although it's only 200mbps up! But I'm hopeful PlusNet can sort out my stuff, so I don't have to leave all you nice people to get some speed. Thumbs_Up (speed OMG I'm beginning to sound like a Junkie) 🤣

SteveA
Pro

@Leapy - there is FTTP in the new development about 300 metres from me, but we're still on long dangling overhead wires and rotting wooden poles (and crazy wiring where the cab I'm connected to is a long way away and I have to walk past other cabs (with their FTTC partner cabs) before I get to mine). BT have made it quite clear in the past that they have no intention of improving our connectivity - not even Fibre to the Pole, and as I said FTTP has been "coming soon" since day 1.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@SteveA 

OpenReach won't waste money sorting the old wired connections if they're planning FTTP. From your posting they are indeed "planning" FTTP so they do "plan" to improve your connectivity - it's just a question of when.

If there's a problem with the poles I suspect these would need to be replaced as part of (or before) a FTTP deployment as the Distribution Point (DP) is hung from the pole serving your house and, if you take a service, your current line in is replaced with a (heavier) combined fibre/copper cable.

Is there anything on a local road works notification page about planned OR work in your area.

Brian

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

OpenReach have put fibre from the green boxes to the poles all around my area and every pole has a couple of large black plastic egg box looking things on top. So it's a very short simple step to drop the fibre from the pole tops to the home, and they have done some already.

SteveA
Pro

@bmc - no OR related work on any page I can find, and no sign of any poles in the area with the FTTP blocks on them,

I replace the Hub One with a VR600 V2 and now have:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 7409 35000
Max Rate (kbps) 7409 46133
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1 10.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 39.1 18.4
Errors (pkts) 13 0

Will be interesting to see what happens connection speed wise in future.

The BT Speed test is reporting the IP Profile for your line is 32.41 Mbps

which is 0.01 more than it was when I started the thread

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Looks like you are banded at 35Mbps, the high SNRM is a clue. Need to request a DLM reset, best of luck getting it done as Plusnet are not doing much to fix speed faults these days.☹️

SteveA
Pro

@Gandalf - how easy is it to get a reset?  It looks like the VR600 works a lot better on my line than the Hub One.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 7409 35000
Max Rate (kbps) 7409 46255
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1 10.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 39.1 18.4
Errors (pkts) 17 0
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hey @SteveA

I just left voicemail on your mobile. I will retest your line shortly and if sync speed will match or will be really close to current 35Mbps banding I will raise request to perform DLM reset.

You can view and answer to ticket on your account here

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

@SteveA Thanks for your time today.

As discussed,  change should be completed within few days. I have updated ticket on your account here

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Browni wrote:
@Leapy when you get an Openreach engineer out they almost certainly fit a new master socket,

@Browni That is exactly what they did, and we moved the router to the master socket and disconnected two extensions to remove any risk of star wiring. 

This is my latest wired speed test 🙂

today.jpg

SteveA
Pro

Line dropped and reconnected just over 2 hours ago

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 7495 40329
Max Rate (kbps) 7495 47755
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1 6.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 39.3 18.6