cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a cooling off period if I sign up to fibre and the speeds dont perform as stipulated?

bazbro

is there a cooling off period if I sign up to fibre and the speeds dont perform as stipulated?

I am considering changing to plusnet but dont want to jump from the utility warehouse frying pan into the plusnet frying pan .

Plus net have said up to 54mbps on fibre on my line  for a monthly average of £27 as opposed to Bt which would be £34 per month average.

is it just worth going to BT and paying more for a better service?

5 REPLIES 5
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: is there a cooling off period if I sign up to fibre and the speeds dont perform as stipulated?

Broadly BT and Plusnet will perform similarly as they use the same Openreach infrastructure.

If you do move to Plusnet (or BT) I recommend getting your phone line and Broadband from the same supplier as broadband and phone issues are often related.

The only thing that might make BT more attractive is that they have higher upload and downloads speeds on their "mid tier" offering 55/10 for BT and 40/2 for Plusnet. The 2 upload may be limiting in some cases.

I'm not sure that BT's premium cost brings "better service".

I am the satisfied customer....
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: is there a cooling off period if I sign up to fibre and the speeds dont perform as stipulated?

BT customers do have a faster resolution time for faults built into the higher prices than Plusnet. That was mentioned in the BT news release when they increased the prices In April/May and also announced the new minimum speed of 55/10.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

I wonder how BT getting faster Openreach fix times than PlusNet would fit with

"Openreach: providers of fair and equal access to the network for CPs"

CP's in this context being companies like PlusNet.

I am the satisfied customer....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There's a 14 day period from the point of signup. If the speeds aren't performing within the estimate range we provided then we'd go through a fault investigation to determine if there is any way to achieve those speeds, if not and the fault process has been exhausted we'd look at the possibility of letting you leave without early termination charges.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@markhawkin wrote:

I wonder how BT getting faster Openreach fix times than PlusNet would fit with

"Openreach: providers of fair and equal access to the network for CPs"

Because BT Retail pay for an uplift in service which customers pay for through their bills.

Any CP can also pay for it, but that is up to the individual CP. There is nothing underhand here, everything BT Retail offers is governed by OFCOM and they cannot provide get a service from Openreach which it not also available at the same cost to other CP's.

And Plusnet don't wish to pay for it. 

Some other non BT plc CP's do offer enhanced fix times.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT