cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipad drops constantly

Debs59
Dabbler

Re: ipad drops constantly

I will need to do this tomorrow morning. If I do this will it automatically start back up or will I have to set it up again? When I first installed it the instructions didn’t work and plusnet said ‘ you’ve got one of the rare one’s that sometimes need extra instructions’. They talked me through it over the phone, had to enter extra things. If resetting takes it back to an ‘out of box state’ I might be in trouble :). Thanks everso for your time.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Debs59 - it's that support interaction that has left your router in a state where I can't upgrade it remotely.

I am as confident as I can be (read: very confident) that you will not have to manually set the router up to get reconnected to the Internet after the factory reset. I made some changes at this side prior to my last post that all but guarantees this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Debs59
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply Bob, as I’m new here can you confirm you are Mr Plusnet !  How will I be able to pick this up with you tomorrow morning when I have done the reset  ( you say do it and then come back to you on here ).

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Debs59 - Bobs status is shown on his avatar - 'Admin', and his name is in purple, which is only for Plusnet staff.

To contact him, just post on here that you have done it, and he will pick it up as soon as possible.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Debs59 just post another reply to this thread.

I'll drop you a message now containing your hub's serial number so you have confidence I'm legit Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Debs59
Dabbler

Very many thanks, I have received your email. What a brilliant forum this is. Such helpful people.

Debs59
Dabbler

Hi Bob I pressed reset and it’s back on blue. What do I do now?
jab1
Legend

Hang on, Debs.😉 Bob's about, so he'll get to you.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Debs59 - you needn't do anything.

I'm about to reboot your router from this side so don't be alarmed when the Internet goes down for a bit.

After a few minutes you should then be on the latest software and reconnected to the Internet.

It's then time to cross your fingers and try the iPad again 🤞

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Debs59
Dabbler

This is all Witchery !  It is back up now. Fingers crossed !!

Debs59
Dabbler

Hi Bob, sadly still dropping constantly. I did the 192. Address thingy and it was interesting in that hubby’s ipad is on 2.4 and mine on 5. His doesn’t seem to drop.C366FF89-EA62-4C77-9DE1-BEC905F908FD.png

jab1
Legend

Sorry that hasn't worked @Debs59 😪. Bob will know more about the  wireless thing than me, but have you tried getting your iPad to 'forget' the network and then rescanning? Apple devices have some really quirky habits.

John
Debs59
Dabbler

I’ll do this. Thanks for your support John. 

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

I suspect that the older iPad has an old wireless adapter and can only see the 2.4 GHz band. Whereas the new iPad can see both bands. Why that should cause a problem and how to get round it is what we are trying to solve.

@Debs59

Just to check one other thing. Does your newer iPad drop out when it is close to the Hub? In other words, this isn't just a signal strength issue? My understanding is that the 5 GHz signal doesn't carry as far as the 2.4 GHz signal.

If rescanning - as suggested by @jab1 doesn't work - try splitting the bands as suggested earlier in this thread. We have been told that it shouldn't be necessary with the new firmware but doing so could either solve your problem by itself (if that advice was wrong) or give a further option to try.

If splitting the bands doesn't work, you could try turning off the 5 GHz band. Either at the Hub or - and this may be easier to do - by forgetting the 5 GHz band on the iPad. You wouldn't be able to use this "forget" trick until you have split the bands.

Debs59
Dabbler

I can be right next to the router and it will drop. I now also realise so does my iphone pro 11.

Talk of me splitting the bands, turning off 5ghz etc instantly takes me into terror territory. I simply can’t do this. i don’t have a clue what I am doing. Sad Am hoping Bob will be back on this !