cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipad drops constantly

Debs59
Dabbler

ipad drops constantly

Hi , I have just moved to plusnet fibre. My ipad loses it’s connection every few minutes. I have read lots of other posts about this with solutions on how to split frequencies, or set up a replacement router that will fix the problem. I have no technical capability whatsoever - it’s a foreign language to me !

what do I need to buy to fix this ? It all seems very confusing - a Home hub, a Smart hub, a 2, a 6, a business 6 -  aghhhhh !

Will Plusnet help me set it up ? I don’t stand a chance on my own.

I’m feeling really upset and frustrated as my ipad is my only means of using the internet.

thanks in anticipation for advice.

44 REPLIES 44
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: ipad drops constantly

Welcome to the forums @Debs59 . When you say you have 'just joined' - how recently? Rather than spending money on something you don't need, there could be a simple explanation for this, but as you say you have technical capabilities, it may be a little daunting - sorry.

John
Debs59
Dabbler

Hi John and thanks for reply, we went live on Plusnet broadband 2 weeks ago and from the very first moment my ipad has been disconnecting from the internet. We were with Sky previously and never had any issues at all.  We have 3 wireless tv’s but not on at same time. 2 ipads, but one not used that much. 2 mobile phones connected over wifi whilst at home and 2 other wifi connected devices ( an air purifier and a lamp). We don’t do ‘gaming’, stream live music etc. Just watch tv in the evening ( wirelessly netflix).  Largely surfing internet/mail/research or the odd facetime call. Does that background help ?! Just a retired couple.

jab1
Legend

So, @Debs59 , is it just the one iPad that has problems, or all the devices at some time?

John
Debs59
Dabbler

That is difficult to answer, my husband doesn’t use his that much, but I am going to use it and see if it has the same problem . His is an older one than mine. Not sure if on same ios version.  But I have read enough to know this is a known issue ?

jab1
Legend

I understand you maybe have read enough, but as someone who does kind of understand these things, after 40+ years of working with computers/IT, I am very selective in what I believe - no offence intended.

Do you use the iPad - presumably the only device exhibiting this problem far away from the Hub, or does it happen if you are sat in the same room?

There is a possible 'solution' , especially if it only affects the iPad, but it would be interesting to know if any of the other devices appear to loose connection?

John
Debs59
Dabbler

I’m not offended at all - just grateful for your help ! I can be sat next to the router and my ipad will drop. I will test my husbands ipad for the remainder of the evening to see if it is affected the same.  Oddly, my ipad is set to autoconnect to wifi but it obviously no longer does as in the morning it’s not connected. I do not have to re-enter password, just select my plusnet from available wifi’s.  I haven’t identified anything else similarly affected, which is not to say they don’t occasionally drop out, just that it goes undetected.

jab1
Legend

OK, Debs - if you don't mind me guessing your name - a simple, possible remedy, if your husbands iPad behaves, is to turn yours off completely - the 'Shutdown' option at the bottom RH of the settings home page, leave it off for 5-10 minutes then restart it. It may take a while to start  up again and find you network, but don't worry.

See how that goes, and if it doesn't work, post back and I'll see if I can think of anything else, but that seems to solve a myriad iThing related problems.

John
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Debs59  

Which router are you using? A Plusnet Hub One with a big blue light on the front?

If it is that, as you may have found out, it offers connections on 2 frequencies. By default they have the same ID and the advice is to give them different IDs, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...for how to do it. You may have seen this advice on other threads but it is not hard to do, and the link gives you step by step instructions.

I don't know whether this will solve your problem, but it is a worthwhile first step. In the past iThings have been prone to dropping connections if the bands are not split.

jab1
Legend

Good point @BrightonRock if @Debs59 is on the .263 or earlier F/W release, .289 is said to fix it though.

John
Debs59
Dabbler

Yes it is a hub net 1. I am now sitting with both our ipads on my lap. My newer one is dropping and his isn’t. I m on ios 14.8.1 and he is on 10.3.3 ( which is the last version available for his older ipad).  I will have a look at the link to split the id’s but the very thought leaves me quaking ! My biggest concern being that I get to a point where I have screwed it all up and have no tv or anything. But I’ll take a look. Thanks for helping me out.

jab1
Legend

@Debs59 - on YOUR iPad, try my total turn off suggestion, it has worked for a number of people previously, and won't damage anything if it doesn't work.

Also, if you can get yours to stay connected for long enough, you really ought to update it to 15.1

John
Debs59
Dabbler

I tried that John. No change. Sad

jab1
Legend

OK, one more idea, although it probably won't work either, get your iPad to forget the network, turn it off again - sorry - turn it back on again and let it find the connection again. It is something on your iPad that is causing the issue.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Debs59 can you please try factory resetting your hub for me by inserting something into the pinhole at the rear of the device until the status light flashes green?

Once done, leave it 5-10 minutes or so and then come back here to let me know.

I would like to try updating the software on your hub as I think it will help, but I need you to carry out the steps above before I can.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵