cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip packet fragmentation ps4 and slow internet

sheep600fx

ip packet fragmentation ps4 and slow internet

Hi as above using the hub one I get this message. Borrowed a openreach modem from a mate and the message goes so I know it's the router/modem. I'm on the 76mb package but I find that playing the ps4 if my daughters are on YouTube etc is terrible with lagging also I find I have to do frequent reboots of the router as the Internet goes so slow  with or without the addition of the openreach modem although speed tsets show a faster connecton using the hub ones modem. I've contacted plusnet lots of times regarding these issues over the last 6 months or more but the best solution they offered was to allow me to leave without penalties....I'm thinking of buying a homehub 5b to try to see if the slow Internet and ps4 issues are caused by the hub one. Oh and have had a second hub one to try and was no different. Sorry for the rambling post I'm not techie and I'm a bit frustrated to say the least.

8 REPLIES 8
bullethead

Re: ip packet fragmentation ps4 and slow internet

they are choking you at peak times using out-dated software. I used to get the same with virgin with their 100 meg download and 3 meg upload. I switched to plus net because they promised me they wouldn't do that and for the first year it was like a breath of fresh air on 40 meg and 13 upload but now they have switched me to fibre broadband its just like being with virgin again. I don't pay good money to be in a bad mood when all I want is to relax and play online with friends !

Its all the same , they want you to pay more and more so they will spill their lies and tell you need their "extra priority" for just an extra £5.00 a month so not to suffer the lag demon! then like clockwork it will happen again so you will get another 18 month contract.

tell me Im wrong !

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

the best solution they offered was to allow me to leave without penalties..  ?

Honestly cant belive that ,, even though support has become second to getting more customers .

Support on this forum is excellent , am sure on PN staff will pick this up in morning

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The issue is due to the HUB one it has a problem with the MTU setting on it being set at a different value than most other Modem / routers are set to Which can cause problems for some and it can't be changed neither.

there have been other posts on the Forum about this with the same problem which was only fixed by using a different modem / router, The Plusnet HUB one is just a re-badged  BT Homehub 5A which has the exact same problem with the same type of posts on the BT forums about it, nothing has been done there and nothing will be here about it either.

Sadly your only option as it stands is to get yourself a different modem / router.

sheep600fx

Thanks for the replies. So would a homehub 5 b be a suitable replacement and would this possibly solve my slow speeds and lagging as well. Thanks

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

I've just switched to a hh5 type B and ps4 gaming is much better!

I've had a problem with my speeds dropping to half over x amount of days and line been checked by BT. The engineer said it's likely to be the router so went on eBay and grabbed a bargain.

Worth a try
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
billylong1
Hooked

I'm on the 40MB Fibre package and have been getting nothing but trouble the last week or two also, online gaming on PS4 lags beyond belief and it's now impossible to stream in HD using iPlayer.

This started happening before I changed to the Hub One, swapped out the TG582 for that hoping for better but it appears to be in PlusNet/BT's domain rather than being a local issue. Really getting frustrated with this now as I'm meant to be participating in online competitive tournaments which is nigh on impossible when faced with this kind of lag.

The difference between OP and I being that I have nobody else doing any strenuous streaming/browsing while I'm gaming.

sheep600fx

Re: ip packet fragmtentation ps4 and slow internet

thanks for the replies, I will buy a home hub 5b to try, So if it works and I can prove it's the plusnet hub causing the issues do I send the bill to plusnet? 😉

I notice there's been no official response to this......would have been nice to have had some help from the official team

billylong1
Hooked

Re: ip packet fragmtentation ps4 and slow internet

Tried a TP-Link Gigabit fibre router, small improvement on the hub but not much. Still laggy as ****