cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet frequently disconnects at random

Dylanb
Hooked

internet frequently disconnects at random

hi, ive been a plusnet customer for awhile now and since the switch the speed has been great but disconnecting nearly everyday multiple times is getting to be unusable, cant play any game online or watch youtube witch is all i use internet for,without wondering when i'll get cut off, router disconnects then 10-20 secs reconnects, nothing seems to be getting fixed,ive been in countless chats getting redirected to the faults team who say they can see the disconnects and send an engineer out who test the line the says all the speeds fine, the last engineer changed the line supposedly but that done nothing ive had new a router sent out, still disconnecting, bought new wires, still disconnecting,i dont know what else to do, Ty for any help 

18 REPLIES 18
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: internet frequently disconnects at random

Hi Dylan and welcome to the Community Forums.

Firstly, I apologise that your connection issue has been going on as long as it has and I can see we have rules out a number of things already with no results in stopping the drops.

image14951875473111

Given that the drops are very intermittent it can sometimes be that when the engineer comes out to investigate and the issue isn't flaring up at the time it can be a struggle to narrow down where the issue is coming from so he can resolve it.

I understand completely how frustrating this can be and thank you for being patient and persistent with checks we've asked you to do so far and engineers that have already been out. Checking the last engineer that came out however I can see he couldn't gain access to the master socket to finish running his checks and investigate the issue further.

My first instinct looking at the the drops and the test results on your line is to progress it forward for another engineer to come out investigate. However before we do so, and I apologise if you've done this already (as it's one of the checks we should have asked you to do) but I can't see this has been covered looking at solely the notes - Have you plugged your broadband connection into your test socket to see if the drops stop?
If not check out the guide below on how to do so:
Test socket guide

If you haven't done the above I'd definitely recommend it given the drops and I'd suggest leaving it in there for a good 24-48 hours to see if the drops stop. If you have done the above however drop me a message and I'll give you a call to book in the next engineer.

kind regards,

Ben

Dylanb
Hooked

i dont have a test socket and as far as i saw the engineer came in and done his checks on the master socket, then told me he was going to change my line via the green box i dont really know what he did but it didnt help,

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi, thanks no problem. Some properties with older sockets just don't have the test socket option. If you drop me a message when your free to take a call we can progress this fault forward and arrange another engineer.

Kind regards,

Ben

Dylanb
Hooked

is anytime between 9.00am - 3.00pm sunday/monday fine?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Dylan, is that your availability for an engineer or for a call to arrange this? -Chris

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Dylanb
Hooked

engineer 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

We should have mentioned the engineer availability are weekdays 8am to 1pm, and 1pm to 6pm. Whilst on occasion we can arrange one for a Saturday, these are extremely rare.

Have you tried plugging your router into the test socket as above?

It's possible that this may resolve the problem without an engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dylanb
Hooked

i nerver asked for an engineer on  Saturday i said sunday/monday 9am-3pm , dont know where you got Saturday from, so i would be monday  and if you saw the other post, you would have known i dont have a test socket 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us,

@Dylanb wrote:

i nerver asked for an engineer on  Saturday i said sunday/monday 9am-3pm , dont know where you got Saturday from, so i would be monday

I was simply making you aware of all the possible timeslots.

I've updated your ticket to reflect the fact we'll need to arrange an engineer visit.

@Dylanb wrote:

and if you saw the other post, you would have known i dont have a test socket 

Apologies for that, I missed that post. Undecided

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ametha1
Dabbler

I am experiencing similar difficulties.

I moved home and switched to fiber broadband several days ago. I had no internet for the first 2 days because my phoneline and internet was connected to the wrong house. So an engineer came and sorted it out for me.

Since then, my internet connection keeps dropping. The disconnections are only short, like several seconds. I think most of the time is waiting for my router to reconnect again. My router light flashes orange, then solid orange, and then back to blue again. The breaks are totally random. I have had at least 3 drops so far today, and a couple yesterday too.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Is it just my new line stabilizing, or is there an actual fault somewhere? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there

Sorry to hear you're having problems still.

I've tested your line and I'm detecting a possible fault on the BT network. I've arranged for this to be raised to our suppliers for further investigation, which should be after 5pm today as they're currently performing maintenance on their systems.

We'll keep you updated via the open ticket on your account.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ruthspencer8812

Mine is also doing the same thing. I upgraded to fibre a few weeks ago. It can happen up to thirty times a day. It only stays off for a few seconds. I have also noticed when I make a phone call the line is crackly which it never was before I upgraded.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@ruthspencer8812 Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests are showing a external fault so we'll get that raised for you.

Once we have a update our Faults team will be in touch.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ruthspencer8812

I look forward to the matter getting resolved as I am sure you can imagine how frustrating this can be especially when I have only just upgraded to make everything faster and more reliable.