cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet dropping over night

davey6
Dabbler

internet dropping over night

I have a very strange problem going on and its starting to drive me crazy.

I never switch my modems or computers off they are on 24/7 due to running my own web server.

however over the last two months i have been getting a problem with my internet.

when i switch my monitor on in the morning windows is reporting there is no internet access, checking the server that one too has the yellow ! next to the network.

i can log in to the modem and it does say its connected however there is nothing there what so ever the net won't work.

i do not have to reboot the modem all i have to do is tell the modem to disconnect and then reconnect and the line comes back up, in other words sign out and back in.

my line speeds have been crazy of late as well, they can be my normal 42 down / 10 up but most of the time over the last two  weeks they have been 31 down and 6 up and twice dropped down to 8 down and 0.3 up 

I really can't work out what is causing this problem to happen.

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: internet dropping over night

1. What router/modem are you using?
  2. Does it  have a setting to disconnect when the line isn't used for a set amount of time? If so, what is it set to. 
  3. Does it have setting to auto connect ? If so, what is it set to.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
davey6
Dabbler

I am using a TP-LINK archer C7 AC1750, with the newest firmware loaded.

this router does not have a built in VDSL 2 modem so its using the wan port to the bt echolife that came with 

my plusnet service.

yes modem is set to auto connect and its not got a lease time set so will stay connected for as long as i like.

but with that said i just went to do this reply and again windows reported no internet and once again i had to drop the connection by the modems user panel and reconnect.

i do have the plusnet modem that came with my line and that one does the same expect when that one does it i can't even log in to its interface to see what is going on as that one locks soild.

at the moment the modem is reporting that it is connected but thats the problem even when there is no net its still showing its connected with all the line details displayed 

SpendLessTime
Hero

Okay.

So TP router and the Plusnet router both lose the connection.

That suggests that the fault MAYBE in

1. either the BT VDSL Modem;
  2. or the cable from the modem to the router.

Have you tried a new cable between the modem and router?

davey6
Dabbler

ok just changed the wan cable from the tp-link to the bt echolife.

i will know within 24hrs if this has has done the trick.

i will post back and let you know what has happend.

davey6
Dabbler

sorry to say it was the same this morning i had to disconnect and reconnect to get the net working.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Well it was worth a try. Shame it is never the easy options which fix it Sad

You could have a fault on the line or a dodgy BT modem. 

Might be a good idea to work through the Plusnet fault guide here

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

If you have a fixed IP address, you could always use the Thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor to see if you are actually losing the internet or whether it is something else local. Can be found here BQM

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
davey6
Dabbler

just update this in case someone else is having this problem.

countless rounds of fault finding found nothing wrong with my line so i turned my attention to the 

BT echolife, what i found while testing was the PSU to the echolife had increased in voltage to 16.1v unloaded

and 15.4v loaded while running the modem.

i changed that psu for a known good one and so far so good my line has not dropped off at night.

sometimes the answers are right under our nose and its just a case of finding it.