cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet dropping out and very slow conection

bobken

internet dropping out and very slow conection

Hi,

Could somebody please help! Over the last few week the internet has been terrible. More to the point the wifi! Yesterday I ran a speed test on my mobile whilst sat in front of my hub and was getting between 0.08 and 4.66 Mbps. When I plug my laptop in with the ethernet cable I was getting over 60. Mbps which is fine.

The signal keeps dropping out completely as well.

Please help?Huh

2 REPLIES 2
Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: internet dropping out and very slow conection

Hi @bobken - thanks so much for getting in touch. I'm so sorry to see such a massive difference in speed from wireless to wired, although I'm glad you are able to get the better speed when wired up as this means we know there's no underlying fault on the line itself!

In regards to your wireless speeds, there are definitely a couple of things you can try to boost the performance of your Wi-Fi:

I would also recommend looking into changing the Wireless channel that your router is using, I've included the steps to do this below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless.'

4) If this is the first time trying this, you can select the option to 'Refresh' at the bottom of the page which will force your router to rescan for the best channel for you.

5) If you are still having issues then you may wish to change the channels manually. To do this, repeat the above steps but select 'Advanced Settings' instead of 'Settings' and this will give you several other options.

6) Under 'Channel Selection' you will want to change this from Automatic to any one of the other channels and see if it improves your wireless. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and change it again if you see no improvement.

If you are having the same issue on 5 GHz wireless after splitting the bands as suggested above, then you can also change the wireless channel under the subheading of '5 GHz Wireless'.

Any Wireless channel is prone to interference and can be caused by a number of factors, changing this channel will usually resolve the issue.

Please do keep us updated and let me know if this helps at all. If not, I'm more than happy to look into it further with you.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
bobken

Re: internet dropping out and very slow conection

Hi could you please help further as WIFI is still rubbish. I'm sat in my front room @ 7.00 am. Nobody else in the house is up, using the internet. I have just ran a speed test download Mbps 1.66 & upload 0.76 Mbps ?Huh