cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet drop out

_Larry_
Hooked

internet drop out

My internet keeps dropping out for a minute or so.

I believe the problem is because of interference on the line, however, every time I call Plusnet, I then have to wait until they can get openreach out to check it.

I just know this is going to go round & round & round & round & round & round in circles!

This is a domestic property, built in 1987 in a village with FTTC installed about 10 years ago.

I was one of the first in the village to get FTTC & used to connect at 75Mbps down & 20Mbps up.

In recent years, it has dropped to about 55Mb down & 20Mb up, but thats what I'd expect with lots of users now.

Anyway, for the last approx 6 - 8 weeks, it has been dropping out many times and I've noticed that the SNR has gone from single figures to 61 up & 63 down, but on occasion, like when I've just taken the screen shot attached, it is: 63 up & 141 down.

I'm a network engineer & tend to use trusted equipment. My router model is a Draytek, which I can get more information out of, than standard issue routers.

I've tested the router, which is OK and also swapped the filter.

The openreach guy has been & tested everything, & said its all OK.

All I can go on is the information presented to me (high SNR), and the fault which keeps happening!!

The Openreach guy is due to return tomorrow.....again.

But I'm not hopeful of a fix yet.

One of my worst gripes is that each time I call Plusnet to report this, I have to wait 45 minutes for them to answer the phone!!!

Does anyone know how I can get across to Plusnet/Openreach that they should be looking into why the SNR readings are so high?

They don't seem to listen to me!

6 REPLIES 6
flap610
Dabbler

Re: internet drop out

I usually get 37 down and 5 up, yesterday and today this is my speed, 12.6 down and 0.1 up. It goes down to zero for both, intermittently. Reported it, not holding out any hope for a fix though!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @_Larry_

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry that your fault seems to be spanning on for longer than either of us would have liked and that you've experienced extended wait times to get through. At present all of our departments (with the exception of our provisioning team, this isn't a provisioning issue) have zero wait time, but we're always happy to assist through this forum or our other social media services as an alternative if that helps.

In terms of the fault itself, I can see that this has been raised on a ticket here. If it isn't resolved this time around, please let us know so that we can escalate this with our suppliers on your behalf.

Appreciate your patience.

Take care

Dave

_Larry_
Hooked

I'm beginning to wonder if Plusnet are still trading!

I was told Openreach would turn up last riday afternoon.

Its now monday & still no sign Sad

I keep asking questions on my 'open ticket' but it seems that nobody else is reading them, because its only me putting information (asking questions) on there!

Who does one go to when Plusnet stop supporting one?

I suppose theres a reason why they are cheaper than BT..... Sadly!

In this world, you tend to get what you pay for! At least I 'used' to...

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Have you tried another modem/router?

Looking at the "VDSL Firmware Version", yours is an old model that does not meet all the requirements.

_Larry_
Hooked

Hi ejs

Thank you for your suggestion.

Yes, I have proven the unit is fine. Draytek's are the only router I recommend these days. I've fitted them for over 15 years now.

I've tested this specific unit on other connections, and the readings it produces seem to be spot on.

I would replace it with a 2862, but thats a bit of an overkill to replace it on my domestic installation, just for the sake of it.

I currently maintain about 12 of these units (professionally), but must have installed over 50 since I got to know them Smiley

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @_Larry_

We have checked your fault and can see the work done by the engineer has resolved the drops in connection. However the speed is less than we would like it to be even though it is only just within your estimates.

Please can you reply to the ticket  here so we can investigate the speed issue further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team