Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent internet drop out

FIXED
RayG1
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

intermittent internet drop out

I'm a recent subscriber to Plusnet and have already had two queries resolved in this forum. I'm hoping that I might be lucky a third time. Since subscribing to Fibre broadband I'm finding that the service is dropping intermittently. The drop only lasts a minute or two but it is frustrating, particularly when downloading. This fault is occurring on 3 different machines, 1 connected wirelessly and 2 connected by ethernet - via homeplug adaptors. There is no specific time of the day that the dropouts occur; it happens throughout the day. The wireless connection is only about 4 metres from the hub which is connected to the prime telephone socket. During the dropouts the light on the hub remains blue.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: intermittent internet drop out

Hi Ray,

My tests are identifying any issues, your connection to the router is also stable.

Any possibility of trying a direct ethernet connection, just to bypass your electricity wiring/homeplugs?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

Thank you for showing me the test results. The two computers connected by homeplug are located on a different floor to the router. However, the laptop is only about 4 metres away; same floor different room but I'll have to buy an ethernet cable of sufficient length to check things out. I'll do that, run a trial and get back to you. If a direct ethernet connection proves to be stable does that bring the homeplug capability and stability into doubt?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Aye, if the direct ethernet connection works fine the problem would likely be related to the homeplugs and WiFi connection.

Let us know how it goes though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RayG1
Dabbler

Fix

I have acquired a sufficiently long enough ethernet cable to connect my laptop directly to the router. All seems well. However, since raising this ticket the wireless connection has been very stable. Only one of the homeplug-connected PCs has been problematic and, even then, it seems less than it was. I think the fault lies with the homeplugs so I will probably invest in another set. Thanks for the help.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear you've seen a improvement!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team