cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent faults on plusnet router driving me up the wall

demonix01
Grafter

intermittent faults on plusnet router driving me up the wall

I've been having intermittent faults with the router I've been supplied where it refuses to allow any device to connect to it and I have to power down the router to restore access, but now it's getting beyond the joke as it's now doing it after a connection drop has occurred but what happened today has taken the biscuit since I had a connection drop a few hours ago and didn't think nothing of it since everything seemed to be working normally but it wasn't until I powered up my laptop (which is always connected directly to the router by cable) and found that the yellow triangle on the lower right of the network indication on the lock screen (this is on windows 8.1) didn't disappear after a few seconds and I initially thought that the cable was at fault since wireless was working at the time (both the device I was using was still able to connect along with the roku streaming device that I'd only started up just before I'd started up before the laptop and also runs on wireless) and when I completed the cable swap it still didn't connect (and the status of the laptop in the router was showing as inactive, so I decided to power down the router under the assumption that it was the old refusing to allow connection fault only affecting LAN connected devices on this occasion and to my surprise even though the yellow triangle appeared again it did allow the connection.
This as I've already stated is starting to get on my nerves and I'm now thinking of getting an all in one solution even if this complaint results in a replacement router sent out.
6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: intermittent faults on plusnet router driving me up the wall

It does sound like a faulty router.
I've ordered you a new one as it's still in warranty.
Let us know how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

New router has been received and installed and it's now a waiting game to see if the problem (along with a few others I didn't report) has gone, but it shouldn't be that long since I just had a connection drop a little while ago which also affected the modem.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Let us know if it becomes a issue again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

There doesn't seem to be an issue anymore with connecting to the router some time after a connection drop, but after that initial connection drop (which was caused by BT since the modem dropped out) the router has dropped connection twice since (yesterday and today) for no reason which is now making me consider suffering with having to power cycle a router after it stops allowing devices to connect instead of having a router active that will drop connection every 24 hours and could impact my speeds.
demonix01
Grafter

And the connection has dropped for the third time.
Once I go offline, I'll be pulling this heap of garbage out and putting the faulty router back into use since at least that doesn't drop its connection every 24 hours.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I take it this is the 2704n router? Is the connection that is dropping a wireless one or ethernet one? Also see this post and the rest of that thread.