Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(intermittant issue) Fibre & BT Tests show errors

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

(intermittant issue) Fibre & BT Tests show errors

Upgraded to Fibre Unlimited 6 weeks ago, since the service has been patchy at best, Customer Support cant help, even if you are prepared to wait all day on hold...

Upload should be 18-20mbs, other days the download is in the 3-10Mbps range, some days running the BT test fixes the issues, today it does not

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to removed the censorship.

PlusNOT.jpgspeedof.me_history_17-02-02.png

10 REPLIES 10
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: (intermittant issue) Fibre & BT Tests show errors

@Gythral8PNC

Is the download speed always in  the correct area for your line?

And it is only the upload speed on the BTW test only that shows slow?

Because if it is, that is a common issue with the BTW speed test and not a fault on the line.

When it happens next, go to Thinkbroadband and run their speed test. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

You will probably find that the upload speed is reporting correctly there.

This happens to my line frequently.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gythral8PNC
Rising Star

@SpendLessTime

Using SpeedofMe, Ookla, Thinkbroadband & BT, the speeds vary from 500kbps to 20Mbps upload & from 10Mbps to 72Mbps, just happens that SpeedofMe has a longer set of logs.

Expected speed range is 70+ & 15+.

The ping to the servers also varies a lot, from 21ms (about right for the distance) to 68ms or more

And I tend to only check when something is running like a bag of nails got dropped in it, and you can see from the CSV how often that is...

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star

Shows 129ms latency, would expect that to a US West Coast server not a London one

SpendLessTime
Hero

Doesn't look to healthy.

It will probably be better to step through the Speed fault guide at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/m-p/1270253#U1270253 and the phone fault guide at https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ to check for all the common causes. Plusnet support will ask you to do them anyway so might as well get them out of the way.

edit: to add links to guides.

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star

Been through the fault checks several times over the last month or so...

No phone fault, router connected @ 77.64 Downstream 20 Upstream, but support wont find a fault as the fault appears to be BT Openreach/Plusnet/BT Internet, so while I'll have to do the BT 2 step yet again, it's pointless

To me it looks like a totally swamped network but proving it is another matter!

This is adds to the suspicion - "however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service" which BT Wholesale has been getting all day...

It looks more like trying to serve a gallon out of a pint bottle!

SpendLessTime
Hero

Yep speed faults are the biggest pain as getting action can be difficult. And the BTW further diagnostics test does seem to like to fail just when you need it.

Do you track which Plusnet gateway your router connects to? http://users.plus.net/@gateway/

Some gateways are worse than others and swapping between them involves dropping the PPP session via the router's webpage, waiting a few minutes and then connecting again. And hopefully being moved to another (this is harder since Plusnet introduced their new network as, for me, the gateways seem to be sticky).

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star

psb-bng03 at present!

but bng01 & now bng02 are showing the same, results

SpendLessTime
Hero

I'm on pcn-bng04 (Colindale) currently. Which seems reasonable at this time. But last year it wasn't for a while so you can never tell. I just log it when it changes so if speeds go wrong, I'll try to hop gateways to see if that solves it.

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star

Seems you have to leave at least 5 mins between attempting to hop & have not been offered any other than 01,02 & 03 so far, and all 3 are the same

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star

A new day & even BT Wholesale's test is running 100% faster - 33ms ping rather than the usual 68 & both upload and download are back to normal