Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing a vDSL data extension

greg16
Grafter

installing a vDSL data extension

Hi All,
tried having a look for this but couldn't find what I was looking for, if it is already answered then please send me in the direction.
Wanting to run a data extension cable in order to relocate BT HH5 away from the master socket ( this is for fibre service).  Using CAT5 cable connected to the A+B ports on the master socket, wanting to know what goes on the other end of the cable?Huh
would one of the below scenarios work
1. install a standard telephone box with OR mk2 faceplate to give me a rj11 connection
2. install rj45 connection - some websites say a rj11 cable will work some say it won't but with fibre being sensitive wasn't sure would this be stable
3. install rj45 connection but cut off one of the rj11 ends and replace with a rj45 plug.
i know the kits that you buy have the pstn and adsl connections on them but i have the above lying around so wondered if they would work rather than buying more
thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: installing a vDSL data extension

Short answer - yes Roll_eyes
I use a CW1308 version of option 3*, but modems plugged into the master socket use what is effectively option 2, as the latest plate (and many similar older ADSL filters) has a RJ45 socket, The only problem with the RJ11/RJ45 combination of option 2 is that the outer connectors of the RJ45 socket (1 and Cool may be damaged by the edges of the RJ11 shell with repeated plugging/unplugging of the RJ11 connector.
Phil
* but am intending using a RJ45 plug to RJ45 socket CAT5e extension to provide a simple means of moving the modem for test purposes.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
greg16
Grafter

Hi Peegee,
Thanks for reply
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@greg16 - I did something similar in preparation for the fibre install. I ran a good quality CAT6 cable from the area of the master socket to where the computer was. I think any decent twisted pair cable will do for this, but best not to use flat cable. CW1306 is a good choice as is CAT5. I chose CAT6 because I could get my hands on some easily.
At the master socket end, good choice to krone the twisted pair into the AB terminals on the MK3 master socket. I think the data extension kit has an RJ11 plug on one end, that can be plugged in to the top socket of the MK3, but it looks much neater if it is hidden (kroned into the AB terminals).
In my case, at the other end, the installer put on another MK3 box, presumably because it is all he had. I didn't like having a second filter on the line (though I have no proof that it has a negative effect), so I changed it for a simple RJ11 line box (I think that is what the installer should have put on because the VDSL extension kit comes with one).
I finished it off by replacing the flat RJ11 to RJ11 modem cable with a Belkin twisted pair RJ11 to RJ11 cable.
As the other poster has said, there are a few ways to do it, but that is what I did.
For me, I didn't want to use an RJ45 line box at the end of the extension because someone might confuse it with an ethernet socket and plug in a PC. Also, since the modem cables are generally RJ11 to RJ11, it kept it compatible. Although you can get RJ11 to BT plug modem cables, I wouldn't want to put a standard BT socket at the end of the extension, as someone might try and plug in a phone, which is a no-no on an unfiltered socket.
Although my first preference would be for an RJ11 line box, I think you can use the parts you have no problem. In this case, I would go for option 1 just to keep the socket an RJ11, that is just a personal preference though.
greg16
Grafter

thanks jafreer