Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase upload speed

las17
Hooked

increase upload speed

hi

How can i increase upload speed ? At the present the upload speed is only about 1.4mbps i could do with it being much higher. 

thanks

20 REPLIES 20
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: increase upload speed

If your on the up to 38Mbps product, then the maximum upstream sync speed is 2Mbps.

Your speed test of 1.4Mbps is not that far away from what you can expect on that product, a better speed test site may show a slightly better result.

Try: http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/speedtester/

The up to 76Mbps product has potentially a much hight upstream speed but there's no guarantee your line will give this higher upstream or downstream speed.

You can check what speed BT estimates your line is capable of here:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Note: BT Openreach do not guarantee any upstream speed.

las17
Hooked

hi thanks, however I know plus net put a restraint on line as with another line I had with them, they were able to increase the speed of that line.

76mbps is just a dream for me, Im stuck on 38 and getting 32 

I would phone plus net up but you spend too long on hold waiting for someone, hence why i came to the forum hoping someone from plus net would say I can do it for you, i can only dream

beginning regretting getting plus net

npr
Pro

What does the BT speed estimate show your line is capable of?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

As previously advised, your throughput of 1.4mps is on target for the upload speed of your package.

If you'd like an increased upstream speed I can see your estimates are between 6.1mbps and 9mbps, so I'd recommend upgrading to Unlimited Fibre Extra.

The best way to do that is to contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 [Selecting Option 1, then Option 2]. At the time of writing this, there is no wait time to get through to them and they are here until 8pm.

I hope this helps,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
las17
Hooked

Anoush

Thanks for reply, the only thing is plus net will require more money for a service that is not usable in my area, this i feel is mis selling and will be subject to legal issues later on, as it is clear plus net are just after more money, rather than just increasing the upload speed which is extremely viable and really should be offered rather than trying to sell me another service which is a lot more money for basically nothing. Wish I had gone with Virgin they don't mess around with stuff they just give you what you want and need.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf If the OP is only getting ~32Mbps download speed on the 40/2 product I don't think PlusNet will allow an upgrade to Fibre extra. All subject to what the estimated download speed is, of course.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @las17,

As per my response over on Facebook, I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to increase the speed from up to 1.9Mbps if you're signed up to the package that offers/is advertised at up to 1.9Mbps upload speed.

While I appreciate you believe it is extremely viable to increase the upload speed on a package that offers up to 1.9Mbps upload speeds, I'm sorry to say this is incorrect as the package would cap the speeds at 1.9Mbps. Even if we were to modify the provisioned service to 10Mbps or 20Mbps upload speed, the account would still cap the speeds at the 1.9Mbps offered on the Unlimited fibre package.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If Plusnet offered the BT 55/10 Package it would better suit those who cannot achieve 40Mbps yet wish to have more than 2Mbps Uplink.

The original Fibre package was 38/20 after all, going to 38/2 to save wholsale cost and be competitive is not addressing customer needs if Fibre Extra is denied them becuase they cannot achieve 40Mbps at their address.

Has anoybody done the sums at PlusNet and seen what such a package would cost to supply, or what extra it could bring in?

If going to BT solves an uplink speed problem, how many customers are you losing now?

How many are you prepared to lose?

Needs thought, don't you think?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Just thinking about this a bit further and considering my unanswered recent post, Plusnet are supplying 55/10 to some customers apparently?

If so, what stops PlusNet supplying 55/10 to Fibre Extra customers who cannot achieve 55Mbps downlink, and pocketing the difference between it's wholesale cost and the 80/20 cost? As I said in my post of a few days ago, my uplink speed was generally arounf 12Mbps for months but for the last two remains doggedly below 10Mbps. In that time we have had about 6 powercuts that have reset the connection and it just hasn't changed.

We get "rural" powercuts here in the sticks and because the property sits on a switching point between 2 11,000Kva supplies.

In the past a powercut saw occasional speed changes, and 14Mbps Uplink has occurred to remain for over a month, so I know that faster is possible. As I say, for two months I haven't seen anything above 9.54mbps which I consider odd.

If you are  regularly supplying 55/10 should it not be offered as a product to all?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@danludlow wrote:

If you are  regularly supplying 55/10 should it not be offered as a product to all?

We're not regularly supplying 55/10. Customers that were previously on 40/20 and haven't changed package ended up on 55/10 but this isn't something we offer, it is simply an outlier on a legacy package unfortunately.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@HarryB yes but has plusnet asked their customers if they are happy with 2 upload speed ?
I would suspect the answer to be No
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
npr
Pro

As my line is only capable of 0.5Mbps upstream I'd be delighted with 2Mbps.

If however my line was capable of >2Mbps I don't think I would be here.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@las17

Your only option is to move to one of the ISPs who supply the 40/10 or 55/10 product.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

In the Past, to offer the Fibre Basic you bought 80/20 from BTW and restricted the down to 38Mbps, the Uplink was whatever it could achive. i was on it at the time and 12mbps was common. Plusnet actually "threw away" half of the supplied downlink in order to have a budget package and a Premium package.

BTW obviously have a 38/2 Package nowadays which is far cheaper than buying 80/20, but now they also have 55/10 which is a rather ideal prime package. I understand the BTW price difference isn't huge between 38/2 and 55/10. A BT guy told me that 55/10 is a super package and cost effective. "Why don't you switch to BT, you'd be better off" seemed to be the message.

I cannot see why PlusNet does not make 55/10 it's prime offering, 38/2 a cheap package, and 80/20 the premium package. I'm not PlusNet (nor likely to be!!) but to compete in a market of package deals, surely you need products that fit customer needs? Cheap, standard, Premium. I would make Premium an attractive package by offering enhanced support (faster response, dedicated phone number, 24/7 cover, that sort of thing). The Premium Service would be the one offered to Business IMO, and better support fits that.

That way, PlusNet has the right products and price range.

Just an Idea, anyway.