cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer not Working on Humax Freesat Boxes

jagobago

iPlayer not Working on Humax Freesat Boxes

Hello smart folks,

I've just returned to Plusnet fibre from EE fibre and all is fine except my Humax Freesat Boxes will load all the iPlayer menus fine but won't run a chosen programmes. All I get is the spinning centre wheel (like you get with buffering) and then a time-out message 'Something went Wrong with Loading this Programme'.

Netflix, and ITV hub work fine via the Humax on Plusnet, and iPlayer on Humax worked fine on EE fibre.

The WiFi to the Humax is getting 30Mb download speed so there shouldn't be any buffering constraints, it as though the buffering doesn't even start.

All other connected devices are running  iPlayer fine.

I look forward to comments.

8 REPLIES 8
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: iPlayer not Working on Humax Freesat Boxes

This is not an ISP issue, Humax issues with BBC iPlayer is being reported on the Humax forums:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/iplayer-problem/page/10

Either Humax or the BBC broke something!

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@jagobago 

Assuming you have used the PN supplied router with the PN service, it is possible that the PN router is the problem, maybe a setting needs to change,

It's not the router, there is a possibility that there is an issue with the PN network, for example have you got the PN Safeguard enabled? (you will need to log on to your PN account using the username & password supplied when you signed up).

jagobago

Thanks for the response Richard.

As chance would have it the Humax-BBC issue started on the same day as I switched to Plusnet and so I made the wrong assumption about the ISP.

OK, I'll see how the matter plays out between Humax and BBC (or maybe I'll just go get a Firestick).

jagobago

Thanks dws1900, I'll check this too, but given that others humax users are experiencing similar I suspect it's the folks at the BeeB who have changed something on iPlayer.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

If it was a Plusnet safeguard issue it would likely affect all your devices access to iPlayer and not just the Humax box.

tismetoo
Dabbler

18.30pm Friday 9 Oct
iPlayer now working on my Humax box (hb1000s)
I checked Humax box for any updates but last one still shows as 13 August 2018.....
So it looks like good old BBC has done something - is that a surprise !!!!
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The problem is that these over the internet TV services have a habit of becoming incomparable with certain devices at some point - most common being the Smart TVs where certain apps will stop working one while the TV is perfectly fine, lahtough this does affect some set top boxes ( ie freesat/freeview etc)

When that starts to happen its much better to get a streaming stick/device such as a Roku, Fire TV stick, or a chromecast ( a new chrome cast with google tv is coming soon)  and when/if one of those stop working  just update the stick and not the TV

If your going down that route now i would recommend either the Roku or Fire TV - the new chromecast isnt out yet, and the Now TV s tick is just a stripped down roku missing a few features and more importantly apps

jagobago

Yes, iPlayer now working again on the Humax Freesat box.

Picking up on pint's points, yes it's just great how support for player apps can just stop for devices - having been burnt that way with an expensive Panasonic TV I'll never buy another so called smart TV, rather get a stick.