cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer freezing on Samsung smart TV

DTEG
Rising Star

iPlayer freezing on Samsung smart TV

Has anyone else been having issues with iPlayer freezing, especially on (Samsung, UE32H5500) smart TV on the FTTC service?
The last couple of days we've been seeing an error message (as attached) momentarily flash a few minutes into viewing any program, then freeze about 30 seconds later. Internet connectivity seems to be OK all along, but it does seem to suggest there might be some momentary drop that's throwing everything out of kilter. Is iPlayer traffic handled specially by Plusnet in any way, that might be further factor? I know at one point they were going to host BBC servers, but not sure if that ever got off the ground.
We pretty reliably get about 36Mb/s on our FTTC service, and the TV manages about 10Mb/s over wifi. It doesn't make any obvious difference whether we watch in HD or SD - usually if there are bandwidth issues, falling back to SD solves it, but whatever goes wrong in this instance stops playback in both modes. Other catch-up services seem to be fine, but not seeing any specific reports about iPlayer being faulty.
Am currently testing having rebooted our modem/router hardware, hoping a different Plusnet gateway might get better results.
Not really sure this is quite the right forum - moderators, please do move it elsewhere if there's somewhere more appropriate!
6 REPLIES 6
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: iPlayer freezing on Samsung smart TV

I similar question was asked in this thread.
DTEG
Rising Star

Thanks - yes that does sound somewhat similar, though we don't get a buffering spinner, just freeze-frame and nothing further. Does give hope that it's "not just us", in any case.
(Did try and find any recent topics about iPlayer, but bizarrely search wasn't returning anything from about the last three years!)
chillypenguin
Grafter

What happens if you use iPlayer on a PC or phone?
DTEG
Rising Star

No obvious issues with other app versions, though they may handle buffering differently in the event of any connection hiccups.
I've given the FTTC bridge hardware a power cycle, and so far so good (watched about an hour with no problems).
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I've been experiencing similar today. In my case I am getting the buffering spinner as well as the 02100 error.
My connection is 40/20 FTTC and the device a BT/Humax DTR-T2100 PVR. Running iPlayer on a Panasonic TV seems a little better, at least insofar that I am only getting buffering (but less often) and no terminal failures. Both devices are wired Ethernet.
With such a momentary problem like this I am hoping that if I ignore it it'll just go away...
DTEG
Rising Star

Still seems happy after the DSL bridge/modem reboot. Was getting buffering spinners (rather than complete freezes as before) at the weekend at one point, but diagnosed that down to the typically poor wi-fi speeds that the Plusnet 2704N router usually deteriorates to after a few days (in this case too slow even for reliable SD let alone HD!), and giving that a kick fixed it.