Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to check fibre is live

FIXED
fibre_4_me
Dabbler

how to check fibre is live

Hi there,

On 23rd Aug i upgraded my account (via online portal) from plusnet unlimited broadband to unlimited fibre broadband. The confirmation email gave a changeover date of 31st Aug. 

My router (tp-link VR2600) is still showing the DSL modulation as: ADSL_2plus and there are no VDSL options given in the ISP dropdown menu.

How can I check if the fibre line is live?

thank you

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: how to check fibre is live

Fix

I suspect the 31st was an initial estimated date which has probably been put back due to BT engineer availability.

Go to the BT DSL checker site https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and enter your phone number. In the text below the speed estimates you should see some thing like ' There is an open order on the line due to complete on...'

That's the date your Fibre will actually go live.

If there's no open order showing then best to contact the Support centre and find out what's happened to your order

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fibre_4_me
Dabbler

Thank you for your help.

It says, "There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 12-Sep-2017".

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's quite a long delay from the original 31st but is not unusual in some areas where Openreach engineers are scarce.

Your router SHOULD automatically resynch to VDSL on the day. I had a TP link 9970 ( just as a modem in front of my router ) on my line when I upgraded. it just sorted itself out!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hello there.

Sorry about the delay with your fibre order. We'd expect your service to activate at any point on the 12th. You may experience a break in service as the work takes place but it shouldn't take long.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fibre_4_me
Dabbler

Thanks for the update.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems, let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fibre_4_me
Dabbler

Hi there,

My 40/2 fibre upgrade was completed yesterday. According to the member centre, my minimum guaranteed access line speed is 30mb. My downstream is around 20mb so wanted to check if there is anything that can be done to improve this.

thank you

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our tests are showing what's known as a bridge tap which could be faulty internal wiring.

Is the router connected to the master socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fibre_4_me
Dabbler

Hi,

yes, the router is connected to the master telephone socket via a filter. The property is a flat built circa 2006. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you've got another filter to test, you may as well try that - I'm not expert but I assume that is not the problem. Though it could be a dodgy one.

Also if you have any other phone sockets or extensions, disconnect those and test with just the router in the master socket to see if it makes any difference.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

In that case I'd recommend raising a fault here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fibre_4_me
Dabbler

changed the filter: made no difference

Will open a ticket.

thanks

fibre_4_me
Dabbler

Hi there,

I completed the fault troubleshooter even though some of the steps were not applicable.

In the meantime, I tried using the test socket as described here and see an increase in downstream sync from 22mbps to 35mbps as shown in the attached router stats. There's nothing else plugged in at the other two phone sockets. The property has an alarm system which I believe uses the phone line. I'm happy to have this disconnected if it improves my dsl connection but don't know how.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post released from Spam Filter and removed.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Your alarm and extension socket wiring is connected to the back of the removeable faceplate, so removing that to access the test socket disconnects all of that. Your alarm system needs to be connected via a filter, so as to not interfere with the broadband signal. In order to continue using the alarm you could use a filtered faceplate. BT used to have one https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/btvdslfaceplate/ but it has been discontinued in preference to the replacement master socket https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket/ . It's still possible to get a faceplate to fit the old NTE5a master socket (which I'm assuming you have) here https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/vte2015filteredfaceplate/.

Basically you would disconnect the extension wiring and alarm from your existing faceplate and connect them to the new filtered faceplate. They are IDC connections so you would need an IDC punch tool to make the connection to the new faceplate. https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/tools/IDCtool/

You then connect your router to the VDSL port on the faceplate, the phone port any extensions and the alarm are now filtered automatically by the faceplate and so no additional filters are needed