cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many more times will my speed drop

welsh_andy
Grafter

how many more times will my speed drop

this is getting silly and getting me furious, plusnet fibre is pure garbage. i have had constant speed issues since joing last year, im about to draw up an official complaint as this is getting beyond, last time had engineer call after a so called fault, that seem to have rectified itself magicially, so in case he fitted a new plate on the box, all has been fine, but tonight started to download the modern warfare update, started off fine for first 15gb, then wallop, speeds down by over half, from around 35mb/s to 14mb/s.

checked speeds on the usual and the btwholesale site and speeds were terrible

7 REPLIES 7
welsh_andy
Grafter

Re: how many more times will my speed drop

i have my answer its traffic shaping as straight after midnight my speeds went straight back up, 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

congestion maybe, but not traffic shaping as PN don't do that anymore.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
welsh_andy
Grafter

well thats one coincidence, this happens quite often when downloading a large file, all depends on what shift im on,  if downloading during in so called prime time, speeds drop, personally there is a whiff of traffic management, otherwise i need to go do the lottery as the odds on coincidence must be massive.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

what evidence are you basing that on though?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @welsh_andy, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've had speed issues as of recent. Checking your connection from this side I can see we are seeing 39.9Mbps download getting to the router with no signs of this speed having dipped in the last 2 weeks. There doesn't look to be any errors or underlying issues when testing the connection either.

Can  I ask then, the console you were downloading on, was it connected via a wired or wireless connection?

When you were checking the download speeds, these could be massively altered if the connection is in use so if you haven't already we'd recommend using a wired device to check the speeds when there's no other devices or applications using the connection as to get accurate readings.
Let us know how it goes and if speed issues still look to persist.

welsh_andy
Grafter

Hi
I don't use wireless only cable. Thx
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

So we can understand the issue better, can you do a range of speed tests for us from speedtest.net at different times - perhaps either side of when the problem occurs?

I'd be interested to see the fluctuations that you see.

Also, even though you've stated you only use cable, are you able to confirm you don't use any home plugs, VPNs, or anything else that may mean the connection isn't direct?

Just to be extra sure, I've run a line test and you're syncing at 40mbits. I've also checked for any contention issues on your exchange with BTWholesale and all is 'green' (i..e good).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team