cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home plug networking speed

baccini
Grafter

home plug networking speed

Hi speed tests on my fibre are around 54-56m connected by rj45 direct to my router,now i have moved my pc upstairs and connected using bt extender kit 600, speeds have dropped to around 24-26m is this normal what kind of speeds should I expect?

3 REPLIES 3
Marketman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: home plug networking speed

Using mains wiring within the house does come with problems for some. If the sockets are on the same ring main that will give the best results, but in your case I suspect that they are on different ring mains which is probably what is causing the drop in speed. From my own experience where I tried to use extender on 2 different ring mains, it did not work at all!

baccini
Grafter

thanks for the reply yes im sure they are on two different ring mains.ive just checked my wi-fi speedson the laptop they are 54-56M should i buy a wireless adapter for my desktop

Marketman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My problems were that the home plugs didn't work and wifi from the hub wouldn't reach through the house. The solution was to use an old Home Hub 5 as wireless access point hard wired to the Plusnet Hub One (followed instructions on how to do it on YouTube). I have a 15m ethernet cable connecting the 2 hubs which is hidden away from view. The Home Hub 5 flashes all the time as it is trying to connect directly to the internet, which it can't, so that is hidden away as well.

Your laptop should already have a wifi card in it?