cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high packet loss on 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

unluckynoobnoob

high packet loss on 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

i've been getting intermittent drops drops in traffic over the last few days?

i'm seeing 70-85% packet loss on traffic going through 195.166.143.141 (141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk). have attached a screen shot

anybody else having issues or have a clue whats going on as the network status page is showing no issues and this is clearly incorrect....

17 REPLIES 17
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: high packet loss on 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk

The node is probably busy doing other things instead of fully replying to your request, the only important stat is the one shown against the final destination.

thunderfm

I'm getting the same issue with 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk.

It's not giving me browsing issues, but it is playing havoc with my work's IP phone and RDP connection.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

For whatever reason 195.166.143.141  (141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk) is not responding, can you tracert to the RDP IP address ?

thunderfm

Here is the traceroute I'm getting on the way out:

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 10.40.38.png

Interestingly the host --> me on the way back is different.

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 10.37.27.png

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@thunderfm 

There is no packet loss.

All the packets reached the destination address 81.134.131.70

All that is happening is that 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk is not responding directly to pings.

Regards

Richard

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

I take different route to 81.134.131.170, so for a quick fix it might be worth investing a fiver in a fixed IP address.

I seem to remember a bottleneck problem before on 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

@Champnet

Whilst a fixed IP address may resolve the OP's problem, the problem is unlikely to be related to 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk not responding to pings.

The lack of ping response from 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk to a traceroute is intermittently misinterpreted and reported as packet loss on this forum but in every case it is not packet loss or a bottleneck etc

When a node/server/ip address on a traceroute is causing packet loss then it propagates from that node to all subsequent nodes and the packets do not reach the destination IP address.

Regards

Richard

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@RichardB  If we’d got the response timings from the next nodes this would shown if 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk was causing the problem or just being shy....
Can’t find it but I remember Plusnet admitting to a contention issue with that node previously hence suggesting a fixed IP to bypass that area of the network. 

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

@Champnet 

@thunderfm's traceroute (in message 5) shows the response timings from the next nodes and they are good!

I have not seen any admission from Plusnet re 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk has contention issues.

Fixed IP's have been used to overcome Geoblocking issues on 3rd party websites, blocking access from Plusnet IP address ranges because the 3rd party websites do not keep their IP blocking address ranges up to date.

I use dynamic IP which routes via 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk and it does not respond to pings.

This in itself does not cause any internet access issues.

Regards

Richard

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Thanks, not familiar with that report format.  Given the OP needs to RDP to the works system and the lack of Plusnet support which is the best way forward ? @thunderfm  You could switch off the router for an hour or two to hopefully pick up a different IP address.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

I personally think @unluckynoobnoob@thunderfm would be better off describing the issues they have and not focus on 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk.

The Plunset Hub One does not have the best reputation regarding its WiFi capability and splitting the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi SSID is reported to help.

@unluckynoobnoob reports they have intermittent drops - that could by DSL issues between the router and the fibre cab or WiFi issues.

Are the drops only on WiFi connected devices or does the router lose DSL synch?

@thunderfm reports unspecified problems with the work phone and RDP issues.

What are the problems with the work phone?

What is the RDP connecting to? is the device over WiFi? Could an Ethernet connection be used for troubleshooting?

Regards

Richard

thunderfm

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

RDP on it's own isn't so much of an issue. It's more that the Mitel IP phone kicks out the RDP connection when making or accepting calls.

The fault occurs seemingly randomly. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after several minutes, and sometimes (although rarely) not at all. It happens both with calling numbers within the business phone system as well as dialing out.

The outgoing audio fails, but incoming audio can still be heard. After about 1 minute, the phone loses connection entirely and reboots.

It is connected via WiFi, but only via 2.4GHz. I'm getting solid connections for every other kind of protocol and other devices connected to the router.

Unfortunately, the distance between the computer and router means Ethernet can't be used to troubleshoot.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi @thunderfm 

I do not have any experience of Mitel IP phones but I see you say it connect via WiFi.

I assume you run the RDP on a Windows PC?

Re>>I'm getting solid connections for every other kind of protocol and other devices connected to the router.

Are you saying the PC has a functioning internet connection apart from RDP when the Mitel is active in a call?

Are you using the Plusnet Hub One router?

Regards

Richard

thunderfm

I'm running RDP on a Mac.

Correct, I am only experiencing RDP dropouts when the Mitel is on an active call.

It is a Plusnet Hub One.

I have been recommended to try a better AP, as my WiFi connection may not be solid enough to support the connections. I have ordered a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR to see if this improves things.