cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

had fibre install this morning but it failed!

poggs
Dabbler

had fibre install this morning but it failed!

Engineer came out and installed fibre this morning.
On leaving he got a text saying the install had failed the test owing to a bridge tap upline somewhere.
Its been passed back to BT pending investigations.
In saying that he left me with fibre running at 20.8 Mbps so still better than the ADSL I had before.
What should I expect to happen now and wtf is a bridge tap   Huh
6 REPLIES 6
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: had fibre install this morning but it failed!

I'm not sure if this is good or bad news, but the order is complete. Therefore, if you want to look further at this, you need to raise a fault unfortunately.
I cannot find an example of a description of a bridge tap from BT (or our portal), so but Wiki comes in quite useful - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_tap
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
deathtrap
Grafter

Bridge taps are from the days when the GPO now known as BT  used to have a system of party lines , These are very bad for any type of xDSL  hence why your sync speed is so low , So definitely NOT a good thing to have ,It will cause no end of problems , but at least the engineer spotted it ,it will need BT or back to remove it, if it's upline from your home
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4334685-line-issues-possible-bridge-tap.html
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=10716.0 they can iirc can be in your home internal extensions
A bridged tap is every piece of wire not belonging to the main cable between the DSLAM and the customer premises equipment (CPE)
modem. Bridged taps cause undesirable reflections at the splice point and at the end of the tap. The reflected signal becomes noise in the
circuit that degrades DSL performance. Further, bridged taps can act as antennas and pick up external noise along the tap.
poggs
Dabbler

Ta all,
Ticket -  #99918692 raised.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for that.
It's going to need a Openreach engineer to go out and investigate further.
If you can update the ticket with your availability I'll get that booked for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
poggs
Dabbler

I updated the ticket yesterday afternoon to say that any PM time would suit.
Just awaiting support picking up the ticket.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'll get that booked in and I'll update your fault shortly.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team