Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gea test to see how things are going

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: gea test to see how things are going

Yes noticing it disconnecting and resyncimg again and speeds vary from 78 meg to 73 meg so yeah something not right again but we will see how it goes
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@iangilf

My d/l snr typically sits at 3db, with the expected throughput for the length of line, 6db on the upload.

Some dslams can set the snr's lower depending on the line condition and the modem.

iangilf
Rising Star

my connection rebooted at least 10 times last night can u check my connection please as the threwput with a static ip address was less than without a static ip address so i removed this to check and my speeds went back up so why does having a static ip address cause the threwput to be lower u definately can make changes to my line i know u can i also was getting 80 meg i no longer can get above 76 even though the attainable is higher so again as always i wasted another 5 pounds on a static ip address and i know u can increase my profile why does the threwput change on a static ip address ? and why did i have so many disconnections last night ?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@iangilf,

As requested your GEA is below:

There were some stability issues yesterday evening, I can't see anything from testing that would indicate what the cause of those were though there are a tiny amount of errors that are reported on the connection.

Could they possibly be weather related? Not that that's an excuse but more a process of identification. 

In my experience a static IP should not affect your throughput in the slightest, but that could depend on any internal network setup as to if this is the case. For a standard user with a single static I wouldn't imagine this would cause any noticeable difference on your service.

We are unable to test for throughput speeds, but if you have before and after speed test results I'd provide those as they will be useful. 

In reality no one can really get 80Mbps throughput. The max attainable sync on an FTTC connection is going to be in the region of 79Mbps with a profile of 80Mbps. The throughput will then reduce with the copper length and various other factors (such as network overheads). 

On a fibre ISPs cannot just increase profiles, this is likely to be a process that rolls out in future but that is not in place at the moment and probably won't be for some time. Even if it was there's no functionality to do this if there's no reason to do it (in the sense on your line it would make absolutely no difference, or would be so nominal you wouldn't notice).

I can see back in November last year there were sync speeds logged on the account of 80/20, but the multiple engineer visits were unable to locate anything causing a problem. 

If the sync dips are causing a problem for you then in my opinion you need to sideline this speed issue and you need to focus your attention on the drops that are happening on your line. It's likely these are causing the sync to intermittently dip down based on the historic data for the line. The connection appears to remain stable for a few days and then drops multiple times over a 24 hours period > rinse, repeat. 

Here's a 30 day log of your connection:

It's worth noting that a lot of the drops (at least over this 30 day period) are occurring between 6pm and 7pm so is there anything happening during these times within your premises (or noticeable outside) that you can think of that might be causing some problems. 

Would it be possible to do the test socket checks (again as no doubt this has been done already), and leave it plugged there for a prolonged period and so we can test to see if this affects your sync at all?

iangilf
Rising Star

can u re instate my static ip address please as ive had a static ip address lots of times and paid for it but i shouldnt have to pay again for it as i was experimenting with the threwput with static ip address i get lower threwput which i find very strange and without i get higher threwput and am i set to 80 and 78 threw your systems please as when i resync it doesnt go higher than that anymore

but i would like my static ip address back please

iangilf
Rising Star

dws1900

yep i know this

it happens on broadcom chipset bt cabinets unfortunately mines on the lantiq chipset where nothing happens apart from dlm and 6 snr

also the engineers that came here to do required work never do all thy have ever done is ask for the port a lift and shift to be done but never got done so the engineer visits that have happened have been a waste of time as always but noone listens at all

so we may aswell give up with engineers who are to lazy to try and do stuff

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @iangilf, as a one off I've reapplied this for you however if you choose to remove the static IP from your account and later decide that you would like to reapply this, it should be chargeable.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
iangilf
Rising Star

speeds down again and threwput lower again and my line isnt going higher than 74 sync rate when my attainable is higher and yes i know it is higher than what they say my line is capable of i done all the tests this end but i know my lines capable of more and i know u can push the line further so just asking if u can push the line further for me so i sync higher as i believe my line is locked at 74 my line status says 72 on the plusnet website so that is down also anyways will leave it with u also my attainable is higher than what im achieving so i do believe the settings of the vlan or whatever system u r using is not right cheers

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @iangilf,

As you can see from the GEA test below that the speed is not capped in anyway and is syncing at 74Mbps, but the profile is set up to 80Mbps.

As the speed is within estimates and not capped there is no fault on the line. We can only advised to try resetting the router and see what it syncs at.

However should the speed drop below you estimates please get back to us.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 75.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 339.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-01-29T14:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 72.9 Mbps 76.1 Mbps 75.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 545.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-02-11T13:34:36.118+00:00 2019-02-11T13:49:36.118+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 6
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 2 1
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
iangilf
Rising Star

I'm not asking that Sammy what I'm asking does my bras ip profile reflect what I'm syncing at as whenever I get a static ip address my threw put is always 68 meg and without the static ip address I get 72 meg so the information the static ip profile holds is incorrect and needs bumping up like u have done before ...thankyou ....it's not my fault plusnet software is garbage and keeps resetting back to old threw puts thanks
iangilf
Rising Star

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8032269219.png

with static ip address

and now i will remove the static ip address and run the test again

oh i cant remove it i have to request by ticket for it to be removed anyways can u match my line with my sync speed please as it dont go above 68 meg speed ...this is getting annoying now

does anything wotk anymore i cant even pay my bill yet and im getting reminders and threats with debt agency cause of the plusnet software why has it got so bad it never used to be like this

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @iangilf 

Static IPs still run through our older internal network which "cares" (for want of a better work) about the PN connection speed we see on you account, and therefore there is a higher chance that there is more contention or congestion on this side of things. I have checked this to make sure you are not set to 68meg, which it transpires, you are not, so I do not believe the above actually holds any relevance to your issue - but it's always good to check these things. 

A fresh GEA shows that you are on the correct profile on out suppliers side as well and syncing well within your limits. This means that unfortunately, we are not able to change anything regarding your profile. 

Sorry for any inconvenience, but the network as a whole does have its limitations. This is nothing to do with PN's software, but I'm sorry to hear that you think we have inferior equipment. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

iangilf
Rising Star

ok i dont believe this but ok will have to live with this for now till the contract runs out every time i get a static ip address my speedtests go high then shoot down to 68 always on a static ip address without the static ip address it would be 72 or thereabouts on the current sync im on but as u say theres nothing showing your end which i still dont believe something isnt right and it cant be congestion as it happens all the same time throughout the day so god knows whats up with it if u would remove my static ip address so i can prove to u the threwput is different without the static ip address and then reinstate it at my request without charging me i could prove to you it has something to do with the static ip address setup

iangilf
Rising Star

this is why my speedtests are dead on 68 this explains it my brass profile needs kicking

Phone exchange:BROADSTAIRSEstimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 60Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-10-15 23:36:52Current line speed:68.8 Mb

and here are my current stats

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:03:32
6. Data rate: 20000 / 75990
7. Maximum data rate: 28463 / 76066
8. Noise margin: 9.8 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 18.6 / 13.6
10. Signal attenuation:

18.5 / 13.6

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8044413296

stop telling me you cant do anything when i know u can , you have done it before by licking my speeds up to match the correct brass profile

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've adjusted the profile on our systems to match the current line rate so you should notice some slight difference. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team