cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gateway woes

Justin7
Grafter

gateway woes

I keep getting connected to pcl bng 02 and finding that pings are not as good and streaming on netflix is buffering at times.
Is there a balancing issue as the stats on the graph seem to show more users on this gateway than the others?
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
10 REPLIES 10
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: gateway woes

That's very odd, I hope my fibre don't drop now. Hopefully plusnet will respond to why everyone seems to be connected to that gateway?
Something's obviously broken
Justin7
Grafter

Yes, since posting the graph appears to have gone up a substantial amount.
Is there someone from Plusnet who could maybe take a look?
deathtrap
Grafter

The differing latency across the gateways i suspect is down to the endpoint that you are connected to i have seen upto 8-9ms more on some gateways again this maybe endpoint related  as I'm sure that some that had a higher latency  recently where providing a normal low level several months ago
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I know the team monitor the balance across the gateways throughout the day, but I'll give them a prod anyway.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've asked the question and the graph you're looking at may look like it's got more users connected as it actually has more endpoints connecting in to it!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for checking Chris. 
I was a bit suspicious of the gateway as that seemed to be the common factor in change of latency and the interruptions on netflix.
Justin7
Grafter

The connection has been fine the last few days.
Thanks for the help and advice!
Grin
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Slightly off topic, but why do our connections to gateways change?
A couple of days ago i was virtually at the top of the list (least connected) and today I'm virtually at the bottom?
After a Speedtest, speeds are still consistent though, but pings have increased a bit.
Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Last night my mate and I had a problem with webcam buffering and slow moving. Never have that problem before. As we both on Plusnet. I do believe it was Plusnet's end cause the problem on gateway. The webcam slow was the same on Windows 7 and try on Linux Mint 17.1. So, it not computer at all.
Will check again tonight if the problem still the same!  Angry
thesawdust
Grafter

@goldenfibre - what service was you using to video? skype?