Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: g.fast trials

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Even if we were, we wouldn't be allowed to say I'm afraid.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
weejake1
Grafter

I'm coming from the time that when the fibre speeds where increasing yous ran trials for those who had fibre already before it went main stream
paurlj

According to http://www.ultrafast-openreach.co.uk, Plusnet IS taking part, even if they're not allowed to say they are!
However, I'm in Huntingdon & haven't heard anything from Plusnet (or anyone else). When I contacted customer services. they didn't seem to know anything about it.
Anyone managed to join and if so, how?
AndyH
Grafter

Are you in Huntingdon or Gosforth?
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Probably totally unrelated, but our cabinet (not the fibre one) has very recently been changed to what looks like a larger unit, and a big trench dug across the road to a manhole, however, nothing else has been dug up.
In west hampshire.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There is a map showing the current trial areas in Huntingdon in this article.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Interesting read and something to look forward to surely?
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Alucidnation
Probably totally unrelated, but our cabinet (not the fibre one) has very recently been changed to what looks like a larger unit, and a big trench dug across the road to a manhole, however, nothing else has been dug up.
In west hampshire.

Does it look like this combined unit?
(From the ever resourceful Kitz.
My guess is they've decided to replace the existing PCP with a combined unit rather than replacing the existing Fibre cab with a larger one with more capacity.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: paurlj
According to http://www.ultrafast-openreach.co.uk, Plusnet IS taking part, even if they're not allowed to say they are!
However, I'm in Huntingdon & haven't heard anything from Plusnet (or anyone else). When I contacted customer services. they didn't seem to know anything about it.
Anyone managed to join and if so, how?

haha
so either
openreach have told CP's they cannot say they are taking part but openreach can say who is taking part.
or plusnet just want to say they not allowed to say they taking part (by getting support reps to say they cannot say).  Hardly anything about announcing a trial is commercially sensitive, openreach have already been out there talking to the media to get PR points stating they rolling out g.fast next year never mind trialing it.
How good a technology this turns out to be is highly dependent if the fiber gets extended nearer to the home or they just do the cheap option of deploying from the cabinet.
Also the chance of congestion increases unlike FTTC which is 80mbit and 40mbit ports shared on a 2.5gbit backhaul, g.fast is rumoured to be 300mbps shared on just a gigabit backhaul, so the numbers are much scarier in terms of what % of backhaul a single customer can chew up.  VM style congestion is possibly on the cards.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

In answer to avatastic,
Yes i think so, however, it is covered up at the moment for some reason, plus, we still have the  smaller fibre cabinet about 5 meters away.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
or plusnet just want to say they not allowed to say they taking part (by getting support reps to say they cannot say).  Hardly anything about announcing a trial is commercially sensitive, openreach have already been out there talking to the media to get PR points stating they rolling out g.fast next year never mind trialing it.

There is nothing to stop them saying they are involved in a trial, but is there any reason for them to do so? They don't gain anything from it.
It's more than likely Plusnet have contacted all customers who would potentially be eligible for a trial to take part. I would also assume there is a sub-forum on here.
openreach have told CP's they cannot say they are taking part but openreach can say who is taking part.

Nope.
However as the trial forms BT's potential future commercial deployments, trial ISPs and end users are not allowed to discuss it. There will also be NDAs with the hardware manufacturers and OR as they are still in development/testing stage.
Also the chance of congestion increases unlike FTTC which is 80mbit and 40mbit ports shared on a 2.5gbit backhaul, g.fast is rumoured to be 300mbps shared on just a gigabit backhaul, so the numbers are much scarier in terms of what % of backhaul a single customer can chew up.  VM style congestion is possibly on the cards.

You assume incorrectly.
There are 8 or 12 users on a G.fast DPU, so the probabilities of all end users maxing out their lines at the same time is virtually non-existent. There will be far more issues with peering/hosting than the actual links back to the exchange.
32 FTTP users share a single 2.4Gbps/1.2Gbps GPON and you won't find people with issues with this.
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What's laughable is the upstream stays at 30 mbit/sec. I'm not bothered about hundreds of megs down (only really useful for UHD streaming), I'd rather have 80 meg synchronous!